1. Cooper DS, Doherty GM, Haugen BR, Kloos RT, Lee SL, Mandel SJ, Mazzaferri EL, McIver B, Pacini F, Schlumberger M, Sherman SI, Steward DL, Tuttle RM 2006 Management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 16:109–142.
2. The American Association of Endocrine Surgeons. www.endocrinesurgery.org (accessed November 14, 2011).
3. Novitsky YW, Sing RF, Dercher KW, Griffo ML, Matthews BD, Heniford BT 2005 Prospective, blinded evaluation of accuracy of operative reports dictated by surgical residents. Am Surg 71:627–632.
4. Moore RA 2000 The dictated operative note: important but is it being taught? J Am Coll Surg 190:639–640.
5. Eichholz AC, Van Voorhis BJ, Sorosky JI, Smith BJ, Sood AK 2004 Operative note dictation: should it be taught routinely in residency programs? Obstr Gynecol 103:342–346.
6. Carty SE, Cooper DS, Doherty GM, Duh Q-Y, Kloos RT, Mandel SJ, Randolph GW, Stack BC, Steward DL, Terris DJ 2009 Consensus statement on the terminology and classification of central neck dissection for thyroid cancer. Thyroid 19:1153–1158.
7. Randolph GW, Henning D; International Neural Monitoring Study Group 2011 Electrophysiologic recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoring during thyroid and parathyroid surgery: international standards guideline statement. Laryngoscope 121:S1–S16.
8. Chambers AJ, Pasieka JL, Temple WJ 2009 Improvement in the accuracy of reporting key prognostic and anatomic findings during thyroidectomy by using a novel web-based synoptic operative reporting system. Surgery 146:1090–1098.
9. Hay ID, Thompson GB, Grant CS, Bergstralh EJ, Dvorak CE, Gorman CA, Maurer MS, McIver B, Mullan BP, Oberg AL, Powell CC, van Heerden JA, Goellner JR 2002 Papillary thyroid carcinoma managed at the Mayo Clinic during six decades (1940–1999): temporal trends in initial therapy and long-term outcome in 2444 consecutively treated patients. World J Surg 26:879–885.
10. Laflamme MR, Dexter PR, Graham MF, Hui SL, McDonald CJ 2005 Efficiency, comprehensiveness and cost-effectiveness when comparing dictation and electronic templates for operative reports. AMIA Ann Symposium Proc 2005:425–429.
11. Iyer NG, Nixon IJ, Palmer F, Ganly I, Patel SG, Shaha AR 2010 Electronic synoptic operative reporting for thyroid surgery using an electronic data management system: potential for prospective multicenter data collection. Ann Surg Oncol 18:762–766.
12. Edhemovic I, Temple WJ, de Gara CJ, Stuart GC 2004 The computer synoptic operative report—a leap forward in the science of surgery. Ann Surg Oncol 11:941–947.
13. Harvey A, Zhang H, Nixon J, Brown CJ 2007 Comparison of data extraction from standardized versus traditional narrative operative reports for database-related research and quality control. Surgery 141:708–714.