1. Tunbridge WMG, Evered DC, Hall R, Appleton D, Brewis M, Clark F, Evans JG, Young E, Bird T, Smith PA 1977 The spectrum of thyroid disease in a community: the Whickham Survey. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf ) 7:481–493.
2. Vander JB, Gaston EA, Dawber TR 1968 The signiﬁcance of nontoxic thyroid nodules. Ann Intern Med 69:537–540.
3. Tan GH, Gharib H 1997 Thyroid incidentalomas: management approaches to nonpalpable nodules discovered incidentally on thyroid imaging. Ann Intern Med 126:226–231.
7. Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, Hao Y, Xu J, Thun MJ 2009 Cancer statistics, 2009. CA Cancer J Clin. Published online before print May 27, 2009.
8. Davies L, Welch HG 2006 Increasing incidence of thyroid cancer in the United States, 1973–2002. JAMA 295:2164–2167.
9. Leenhardt L, Bernier MO, Boin-Pineau MH, Conte DB, Marechaud R, Niccoli-Sire P, Nocaudie M, Orgiazzi J, Schlumberger M, Wémeau JL, Chérie-Challine L, De Vathaire F 2004 Advances in diagnostic practices affect thyroid cancer incidence in France. Eur J Endocrinol 150:133–139.
10. Singer PA, Cooper DS, Daniels GH, Ladenson PW, Greenspan FS, Levy EG, Braverman LE, Clark OH, McDougall IR, Ain KV, Dorfman SG 1996 Treatment guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and well-differentiated thyroid cancer. American Thyroid Association. Arch Intern Med 156:2165–2172.
11. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists 2001 AACE/AAES medical/surgical guidelines for clinical practice: management of thyroid carcinoma. Endocr Pract 7:202–220.
12. British Thyroid Association and Royal College of Physicians. 2007 Guidelines for the management of thyroid cancer, 2nd Edition. www.british-thyroid-association.org.
13. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. 2009 Thyroid carcinoma. www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/thyroid.pdf. Accessed January 28, 2009.
14. Pacini F, Schlumberger M, Dralle H, Elisei R, Smit JW, Wiersinga W 2006 European consensus for the management of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma of the follicular epithelium. Eur J Endocrinol 154:787–803.
15. Luster M, Clarke SE, Dietlein M, Lassmann M, Lind P, Oyen WJ, Tennvall J, Bombardieri E 2008 Guidelines for radioiodine therapy of differentiated thyroid cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 35:1941–1959.
16. Cooper DS, Doherty GM, Haugen BR, Kloos RT, Lee SL, Mandel SJ, Mazzaferri EL, McIver B, Sherman SI, Tuttle RM 2006 The American Thyroid Association Guidelines Task-force. Management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 16:109–142.
17. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Ratings: Strength of Recommendations and Quality of Evidence. Guide to Clinical Preventive Services, Third Edition: Periodic Updates, 2000–2003. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD.
18. Marqusee E, Benson CB, Frates MC, Doubilet PM, Larsen PR, Cibas ES, Mandel SJ 2000 Usefulness of ultrasonography in the management of nodular thyroid disease. Ann Intern Med 1339:696–700.
19. Hagag P, Strauss S, Weiss M 1998 Role of ultrasound-guided ﬁne-needle aspiration biopsy in evaluation of non-palpable thyroid nodules. Thyroid 8:989–995.
20. Are C, Hsu JF, Ghossein RA, Schoder H, Shah JP, Shaha AR 2007 Histological aggressiveness of ﬂuorodeoxyglucose positron-emission tomogram (FDG-PET)-detected incidental thyroid carcinomas. Ann Surg Oncol 14:3210–3215.
21. Bogsrud TV, Karantanis D, Nathan MA, Mullan BP, Wiseman GA, Collins DA, Kasperbauer JL, Strome SE, Reading CC, Hay ID, Lowe VJ 2007 The value of quantifying 18F-FDG uptake in thyroid nodules found incidentally on whole-body PET-CT. Nucl Med Commun 28:373–381.
22. Kang KW, Kim SK, Kang HS, Lee ES, Sim JS, Lee IG, Jeong SY, Kim SW 2003 Prevalence and risk of cancer of focal thyroid incidentaloma identiﬁed by 18F-ﬂuorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography for metastasis evaluation and cancer screening in healthy subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:4100–4104.
23. Choi JY, Lee KS, Kim HJ, Shim YM, Kwon OJ, Park K, Baek CH, Chung JH, Lee KH, Kim BT 2006 Focal thyroid lesions incidentally identiﬁed by integrated 18F-FDG PET=CT: clinical signiﬁcance and improved characterization. J Nucl Med 47:609–615.
24. Curtis RE, Rowlings PA, Deeg HJ, Shriner DA, Socié G, Travis LB, Horowitz MM, Witherspoon RP, Hoover RN, Sobocinski KA, Fraumeni JF, Boice JD, Schoch HG, Sale GE, Storb R, Travis WD, Kolb HJ, Gale RP, Passweg JR 1997 Solid cancers after bone marrow transplantation. N Engl J Med 336:897–904.
25. Pacini F, Vorontsova T, Demidchik E, Molinaro E, Agate, L, Romei C, Shavrova E, Cherstvoy ED, Ivashkevitch Y, Kuchinskaya E, Schlumberger M, Ronga G, Filesi M, Pinchera A 1997 Post-Chernobyl thyroid carcinoma in Belarus children and adolescents: comparison with naturally occurring thyroid carcinoma in Italy and France. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:3563–3569.
26. Boelaert K, Horacek J, Holder RL, Watkinson JC, Sheppard MC, Franklyn JA 2006 Serum thyrotropin concentration as a novel predictor of malignancy in thyroid nodules investigated by ﬁne-needle aspiration. J Clin Endo Metab 91:4295–4301.
27. Hall TL, Layﬁeld LJ, Philippe A, Rosenthal D 1989 Sources of diagnostic error in ﬁne needle aspiration of the thyroid. Cancer 63:718–725.
28. Alexander EK, Heering JP, Benson CB, Frates MC, Doubilet PM, Cibas ES, Marqusee E 2002 Assessment of non-diagnostic ultrasound-guided ﬁne needle aspiration of thyroid nodules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4924–4927.
29. Brander A, Viikinkoski P, Tuuhea J, Voutilainen L, Kivisaari L 1992 Clinical versus ultrasound examination of the thyroid gland in common clinical practice. J Clin Ultrasound 20:37–42.
31. Singh B, Shaha AR, Trivedi H, Carew JF, Poluri A, Shah JP 1999 Coexistent Hashimoto’s thyroiditis with papillary thyroid carcinoma: impact on presentation, management, and outcome. Surgery 126:1070–1077.
32. Repplinger D, Bargren A, Zhang YW, Adler JT, Haymart M, Chen H 2008 Is Hashimoto’s thyroiditis a risk factor for papillary thyroid cancer? J Surg Res 150:49–52.
33. Pacini F, Pinchera A, Giani C, Grasso L, Doveri F, Baschieri L 1980. Serum thyroglobulin in thyroid carcinoma and other thyroid disorders. J Endocrinol Invest 3:283–292.
34. Elisei R, Bottici V, Luchetti F, Di Coscio G, Romei C, Grasso L, Miccoli P, Iacconi P, Basolo F, Pinchera A, Pacini F 2004 Impact of routine measurement of serum calcitonin on the diagnosis and outcome of medullary thyroid cancer: experience in 10,864 patients with nodular thyroid disorders. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:163–168.
35. Hahm JR, Lee MS, Min YK, Lee MK, Kim KW, Nam SJ, Yang JH, Chung JH 2001 Routine measurement of serum calcitonin is useful for early detection of medullary thyroid carcinoma in patients with nodular thyroid diseases. Thyroid 11:73–80.
36. Niccoli P, Wion-Barbot N, Caron P, Henry JF, de Micco C, Saint Andre JP, Bigorgne JC, Modigliani E, Conte-Devolx B 1997 Interest of routine measurement of serum calcitonin: study in a large series of thyroidectomized patients. The French Medullary Study Group. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:338–341.
37. Costante G, Meringolo D, Durante C, Bianchi D, Nocera M, Tumino S Crocetti U, Attard M, Maranghi M, Torlontano M, Filetti S 2007 Predictive value of serum calcitonin levels for preoperative diagnosis of medullary thyroid carcinoma in a cohort of 5817 consecutive patients with thyroid nodules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:450–455.
38. Cheung K, Roman SA, Wang TS, Walker HD, Sosa JA 2008 Calcitonin measurement in the evaluation of thyroid nodules in the United States: a cost-effectiveness and decision analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:2173–2180.
39. Gagel RF, Hoff AO, Cote GJ 2005 Medullary thyroid carcinoma. In Werner and Ingbar’s The Thyroid. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, pp 967–988.
40. Danese D, Sciacchitano S, Farsetti A, Andreoli M, Pontecorvi A 1998 Diagnostic accuracy of conventional versus sonography-guided ﬁne-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules. Thyroid 8:15–21.
41. Carmeci C, Jeffrey RB, McDougall IR, Nowels KW, Weigel RJ 1998 Ultrasound-guided ﬁne-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid masses. Thyroid 8:283–289.
42. Baloch ZW, LiVolsi VA, Asa SL, Rosai J, Merino MJ, Randolph G, Vielh P, DeMay RM, Sidawy MK, Frable WJ 2008 Diagnostic terminology and morphologic criteria for cytologic diagnosis of thyroid lesions: a synopsis of the National Cancer Institute Thyroid Fine-Needle Aspiration State of the Science Conference. Diagn Cytopathol 36:425–437.
43. Leenhardt L, Hejblum G, Franc B, Fediaevsky LD, Delbot T, Le Guillouzic D, Ménégaux F, Guillausseau C, Hoang C, Turpin G, Aurengo A 1999 Indications and limits of ultrasound-guided cytology in the management of nonpalpable thyroid nodules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:24–28.
44. Papini E, Guglielmi R, Bianchini A, Crescenzi A, Taccogna S, Nardi F, Panunzi C, Rinaldi R, Toscano V, Pacella CM 2002 Risk of malignancy in nonpalpable thyroid nodules: predictive value of ultrasound and color-Doppler features. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:1941–1946.
45. Nam-Goong IS, Kim HY, Gong G, Lee HK, Hong SJ, Kim WB, Shong YK 2004 Ultrasonography-guided ﬁne-needle aspiration of thyroid incidentaloma: correlation with pathological ﬁndings. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf ) 60:21–28.
46. Cappelli C, Castellano M, Pirola I, Cumetti D, Agosti B, Gandossi E, Agabiti Rosei E 2007 The predictive value of ultrasound ﬁndings in the management of thyroid nodules. QJM 100:29–35.
47. Frates MC, Benson CB, Doubilet PM, Kunreuther E, Contreras M, Cibas ES, Orcutt J, Moore FD Jr, Larsen PR, Marqusee E, Alexander EK 2006 Prevalence and distribution of carcinoma in patients with solitary and multiple thyroid nodules on sonography. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:3411–3417.
48. Moon WJ, Jung SL, Lee JH, Na DG, Baek JH, Lee YH, Kim J, Kim HS, Byun JS, Lee DH; Thyroid Study Group, Korean Society of Neuro-and Head and Neck Radiology 2008 Benign and malignant thyroid nodules: US differentiation—multicenter retrospective study. Radiology 247:762–770.
49. Jeh SK, Jung SL, Kim BS, Lee YS 2007 Evaluating the degree of conformity of papillary carcinoma and follicular carcinoma to the reported ultrasonographic findings of malignant thyroid tumor. Korean J Radiol 8:192–197.
50. Machens A, Holzhausen HJ, Dralle H 2005 The prognostic value of primary tumor size in papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma. Cancer 103:2269–2273.
51. Moon WJ, Kwag HJ, Na DG 2009 Are there any specific ultrasound findings of nodular hyperplasia (“leave me alone” lesion) to differentiate it from follicular adenoma? Acta Radiologica 50:383–388.
52. Bonavita JA, Mayo J, Babb J, Bennett G, Oweity T, Macari M, Yee J 2009 Pattern recognition of benign nodules at ultrasound of the thyroid: which nodules can be left alone? AJR Am J Roentgenol 193:207–213.
53. Rago T, Santini F, Scutari M, Pinchera A, Vitti P 2007 Elastography: new developments in ultrasound for predicting malignancy in thyroid nodules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2917–2922.
54. Noguchi S, Yamashita H, Uchino S, Watanabe S 2008 Papillary microcarcinoma. World J Surg 32:747–753.
55. Wada N, Duh QY, Sugino K, Iwasaki H, Kameyama K, Mimura T, Ito K, Takami H, Takanashi Y 2003 Lymph node metastasis from 259 papillary thyroid microcarcinomas: frequency, pattern of occurrence and recurrence, and optimal strategy for neck dissection. Ann Surg 237: 399–407.
56. Ito Y, Tomoda C, Uruno T, Takamura Y, Miya A, Kobayashi K, Matsuzuka F, Kuma K, Miyauchi A 2004 Preoperative ultrasonographic examination for lymph node metastasis: usefulness when designing lymph node dissection for papillary microcarcinoma of the thyroid. World J Surg 28:498–501.
57. Hemminki K, Eng C, Chen B 2005 Familial risks for non-medullary thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5747–5753.
58. Schneider AB, Ron E, Lubin J, Stovall M, Gierlowski TC 1993 Dose-response relationships for radiation-induced thyroid cancer and thyroid nodules: evidence for the prolonged effects of radiation on the thyroid. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 77:362–369.
59. Shibata Y, Yamashita S, Masyakin VB, Panasyuk GD, Nagataki S 2001 15 years after Chernobyl: new evidence of thyroid cancer. Lancet 358:1965–1966.
60. Braga M, Cavalcanti TC, Collaco LM, Graf H 2001 Efficacy of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the diagnosis of complex thyroid nodules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:4089–4091.
61. Redman R, Zalaznick H, Mazzaferri EL, Massoll NA 2006 The impact of assessing specimen adequacy and number of needle passes for fine-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules. Thyroid 16:55–60.
62. Baloch ZW, Tam D, Langer J, Mandel S, LiVolsi VA, Gupta PK 2000 Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid: role of on-site assessment and multiple cytologic preparations. Diagn Cytopathol 23:425–429.
63. de los Santos ET, Keyhani-Rofagha S, Cunningham JJ, Mazzaferri EL 1990 Cystic thyroid nodules. The dilemma of malignant lesions. Arch Intern Med 150:1422–1427.
64. Yeh MW, Demircan O, Ituarte P, Clark OH 2004 False-negative fine-needle aspiration cytology results delay treatment and adversely affect outcome in patients with thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 14:207–215.
65. Gharib H, Goellner JR, Johnson DA 1993 Fine-needle aspiration cytology of the thyroid. A 12-year experience with 11,000 biopsies. Clin Lab Med 13:699–709.
66. Tuttle RM, Lemar H, Burch HB 1998 Clinical features associated with an increased risk of thyroid malignancy in patients with follicular neoplasia by fine-needle aspiration. Thyroid 8:377–383.
67. Tyler DS, Winchester DJ, Caraway NP, Hickey RC, Evans DB 1994 Indeterminate fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid: identification of subgroups at high risk for invasive carcinoma. Surgery 116:1054–1060.
68. Kelman AS, Rathan A, Leibowitz J, Burstein DE, Haber RS 2001 Thyroid cytology and the risk of malignancy in thyroid nodules: importance of nuclear atypia in indeterminate specimens. Thyroid 11:271–277.
69. Bartolazzi A, Orlandi F, Saggiorato E, Volante M, Arecco F, Rossetto R, Palestini N, Ghigo E, Papotti M, Bussolati G, Martegani MP, Pantellini F, Carpi A, Giovagnoli MR, Monti S, Toscano V, Sciacchitano S, Pennelli GM, Mian C, Pelizzo MR, Rugge M, Troncone G, Palombini L, Chiappetta G, Botti G, Vecchione A, Bellocco R; Italian Thyroid Cancer Study Group (ITCSG) 2008 Galectin-3-expression analysis in the surgical selection of follicular thyroid nodules with indeterminate fine-needle aspiration cytology: a prospective multicentre study. Lancet Oncol 9:543–549.
70. Segev DL, Clark DP, Zeiger MA, Umbricht C 2003 Beyond the suspicious thyroid fine needle aspirate. A review. Acta Cytol 47:709–722.
71. Haugen BR, Woodmansee WW, McDermott MT 2002 Towards improving the utility of fine-needle aspiration biopsy for the diagnosis of thyroid tumors. Clin Endo 56: 281–290.
72. Sapio MR, Posca D, Raggioli A, Guerra A, Marotta V, Deandrea M, Motta M, Limone PP, Troncone G, Caleo A, Rossi G, Fenzi G, Vitale M 2007 Detection of RET/PTC, TRK and BRAF mutations in preoperative diagnosis of thyroid nodules with indeterminate cytological findings. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf ) 66:678–683.
73. Nikiforov YE, Nikiforov YE, Steward DL, Robinson-Smith TM, Haugen BR, Klopper JP, Zhu Z, Fagin JA, Falciglia M, Weber K, Nikiforova MN 2009 Molecular testing for mutations in improving the fine-needle aspiration diagnosis of thyroid nodules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2092–2098.
74. Franco C, Martínez V, Allamand JP, Medina F, Glasinovic A, Osorio M, Schachter D 2009 Molecular markers in thyroid fine-needle aspiration biopsy: a prospective study. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 17:211–215.
75. Mitchell JC, Grant F, Evenson AR, Parker JA, Hasselgren PO, Parangi S 2005. Preoperative evaluation of thyroid nodules with 18FDG-PET/CT. Surgery 138:1166–1174; discussion 1174–1175.
76. de Geus-Oei LF, Pieters GF, Bonenkamp JJ, Mudde AH, Bleeker-Rovers CP, Corstens FH, Oyen WJ 2006 18F-FDG PET reduces unnecessary hemithyroidectomies for thyroid nodules with inconclusive cytologic results. J Nucl Med 47:770–775.
77. Kim JM, Ryu JS, Kim TY, Kim WB, Kwon GY, Gong G, Moon DH, Kim SC, Hong SJ, Shong YK 2007 18Ffluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography does not predict malignancy in thyroid nodules cytologically diagnosed as follicular neoplasm. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1630–1634.
78. Sebastianes FM, Cerci JJ, Zanoni PH, Soares J Jr, Chibana LK, Tomimori EK, de Camargo RY, Izaki M, Giorgi MC, Eluf-Neto J, Meneghetti JC, Pereira MA 2007 Role of 18Ffluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in preoperative assessment of cytologically indeterminate thyroid nodules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:4485–4488.
79. Hales NW, Krempl GA, Medina JE 2008 Is there a role for fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography in cytologically indeterminate thyroid nodules? Am J Otolaryngol 29:113–118.
80. Ylagan LR, Farkas T, Dehner LP 2004 Fine needle aspiration of the thyroid: a cytohistologic correlation and study of discrepant cases. Thyroid 14:35–41.
81. McCoy KL, Jabbour N, Ogilvie JB, Ohori NP, Carty SE, Yim JH 2007 The incidence of cancer and rate of false-negative cytology in thyroid nodules greater than or equal to 4 cm in size. Surgery 142:837–844.
82. Alexander EK, Hurwitz S, Heering JP, Benson CB, Frates MC, Doubilet PM, Cibas ES, Larsen PR, Marqusee E 2003 Natural history of benign solid and cystic thyroid nodules. Ann Int Med 138:315–318.
83. Asanuma K, Kobayashi S, Shingu K, Hama Y, Yokoyama S, Fujimori M, Amano J 2001 The rate of tumour growth does not distinguish between malignant and benign thyroid nodules. Eur J Surg 167:102–105.
84. Erdogan MF, Kamel N, Aras D, Akdogan A, Baskal N, Erdogan G 1998 Value of re-aspirations in benign nodular thyroid disease. Thyroid 8:1087–1090.
85. Orlandi A, Puscar A, Capriata E, Fideleff H 2005 Repeated fine-needle aspiration of the thyroid in benign nodular thyroid disease: critical evaluation of long-term follow-up. Thyroid 15:274–278.
86. Papini E, Petrucci L, Guglielmi R, Panunzi C, Rinaldi R, Bacci V, Crescenzi A, Nardi F, Fabbrini R, Pacella CM 1998 Long-term changes in nodular goiter: a 5-year prospective randomized trial of levothyroxine suppressive therapy for benign cold thyroid nodules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:780–783.
87. Brauer VF, Eder P, Miehle K, Wiesner TD, Hasenclever H, Paschke R 2005 Interobserver variation for ultrasound determination of thyroid nodule volumes. Thyroid 15:1169–1175.
88. Brander AE, Viikinkoski VP, Nickels JI, Kivisaari LM 2000 Importance of thyroid abnormalities detected at US screening: a 5-year follow-up. Radiology 215:801–806.
89. Oertel YC, Miyahara-Felipe L, Mendoza MG, Yu K 2007 Value of repeated fine needle aspirations of the thyroid: an analysis of over ten thousand FNAs. Thyroid 17:1061–1066.
90. Bennedbaek FN, Hegedüs L 2003 Treatment of recurrent thyroid cysts with ethanol: a randomized double-blind controlled trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:5773–5777.
91. Valcavi R, Frasoldati A 2004 Ultrasound-guided percutaneous ethanol injection therapy in thyroid cystic nodules. Endocr Pract 10:269–275.
92. Antonelli A, Campatelli A, Di Vito A, Alberti B, Baldi V, Salvioni G, Fallahi P, Baschieri L 1994 Comparison between ethanol sclerotherapy and emptying with injection of saline in treatment of thyroid cysts. Clin Investig 72:971–974.
93. Verde G, Papini E, Pacella CM, Gallotti C, Delpiano S, Strada S, Fabbrini R, Bizzarri G, Rinaldi R, Panunzi C, Geili D 1994 Ultrasound guided percutaneous ethanol injection in the treatment of cystic thyroid nodules. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 41:719–724.
94. Zelmanovitz F, Genro S, Gross JL 1998 Suppressive therapy with levothyroxine for solitary thyroid nodules: a double-blind controlled clinical study and cumulative meta-analyses. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:3881–3885.
95. Wemeau JL, Caron P, Schvartz C, Schlienger JL, Orgiazzi J, Cousty C, Vlaeminck-Guillem V 2002 Effects of thyroid-stimulating hormone suppression with levothyroxine in reducing the volume of solitary thyroid nodules and improving extranodular nonpalpable changes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial by the French Thyroid Research Group. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4928–4934.
96. Castro MR, Caraballo PJ, Morris JC 2002 Effectiveness of thyroid hormone suppressive therapy in benign solitary thyroid nodules: a meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4154–4159.
97. Rallison ML, Dobyns BM, Keating FR Jr, Rall JE, Tyler FH 1975 Thyroid nodularity in children. JAMA 233:1069–1072.
98. Raab SS, Silverman JF, Elsheikh TM, Thomas PA, Wakely PE 1995 Pediatric thyroid nodules: disease demographics and clinical management as determined by fine needle aspiration biopsy. Pediatrics 95:46–49.
99. Corrias A, Einaudi S, Chiorboli E, Weber G, Crino A, Andreo M, Cesaretti G, de Sanctis L, Messina MF, Segni M, Cicchetti M, Vigone M, Pasquino AM, Spera S, de Luca F, Mussa GC, Bona G 2001 Accuracy of fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules in detecting malignancy in childhood: comparison with conventional clinical, laboratory, and imaging approaches. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:4644–4648.
100. Hung W 1999 Solitary thyroid nodules in 93 children and adolescents, a 35-years experience. Horm Res 52:15–18.
101. Gharib H, Zimmerman D, Goellner JR, Bridley SM, LeBlanc SM 1995 Fine-needle aspiration biopsy: Use in diagnosis and management of pediatric thyroid diseases. Endo Pract 1:9–13.
102. Arda IS, Yildirim S, Demirhan B, Firat S 2001 Fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules. Arch Dis Child 85:313–317.
103. Tan GH, Gharib H, Goellner JR, van Heerden JA, Bahn RS 1996 Management of thyroid nodules in pregnancy. Arch Intern Med 156:2317–2320.
104. Moosa M, Mazzaferri EL 1997 Outcome of differentiated thyroid cancer diagnosed in pregnant women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:2862–2866.
105. Mestman JH, Goodwin TM, Montoro MM 1995 Thyroid disorders of pregnancy. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 24:41–71.
106. Herzon FS, Morris DM, Segal MN, Rauch G, Parnell T 1994 Coexistent thyroid cancer and pregnancy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 120:1191–1193.
107. Mazzaferri EL, Jhiang SM 1994 Long-term impact of initial surgical and medical therapy on papillary and follicular thyroid cancer. Am J Med 97:418–428.
108. Kuy S, Roman SA, Desai R, Sosa JA 2009 Outcomes following thyroid and parathyroid surgery in pregnant women. Arch Surg 144:399–406.
109. Rosen IB, Korman M, Walfish PG 1997 Thyroid nodular disease in pregnancy: current diagnosis and management. Clin Obstet Gynecol 40:81–89.
110. Hundahl SA, Fleming ID, Fremgen AM, Menck HR 1998 A National Cancer Data Base report on 53,856 cases of thyroid carcinoma treated in the U.S., 1985–1995. Cancer 83:2638–2648.
111. Volante M, Landolfi S, Chiusa L, Palestini N, Motta M, Codegone A, Torchio B, Papotti MG 2004 Poorly differentiated carcinomas of the thyroid with trabecular, insular, and solid patterns: a clinicopathologic study of 183 patients. Cancer 100:950–957.
112. van Heerden JA, Hay ID, Goellner JR, Salomao D, Ebersold JR, Bergstralh EJ, Grant CS 1992 Follicular thyroid carcinoma with capsular invasion alone: a nonthreatening malignancy. Surgery. 112:1130–6.
113. Sanders LE, Silverman M 1998 Follicular and Hürthle cell carcinoma: predicting outcome and directing therapy. Surgery 124:967–974.
114. Lo CY, Chan WF, Lam KY, Wan KY 2005 Follicular thyroid carcinoma: the role of histology and staging systems in predicting survival. Ann Surg 242:708–715.
115. D’Avanzo A, Treseler P, Ituarte PH, Wong M, Streja L, Greenspan FS, Siperstein AE, Duh QY, Clark OH 2004. Follicular thyroid carcinoma: histology and prognosis. Cancer 100:1123–1129.
116. Hay ID, Bergstralh EJ, Goellner JR, Ebersold JR, Grant CS 1993 Predicting outcome in papillary thyroid carcinoma: development of a reliable prognostic scoring system in a cohort of 1779 patients surgically treated at one institution during 1940 through 1989. Surgery 114:1050–1057; discussion 1057–1058.
117. Shah MD, Hall FT, Eski SJ, Witterick IJ, Walfish PG, Freeman JL 2003 Clinical course of thyroid carcinoma after neck dissection. Laryngoscope 113:2102–2107.
118. Wang TS, Dubner S, Sznyter LA, Heller KS 2004 Incidence of metastatic well-differentiated thyroid cancer in cervical lymph nodes. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:110–113.
119. Sosa JA, Bowman HM, Tielsch JM, Powe NR, Gordon TA, Udelsman R 1998 The importance of surgeon experience for clinical and economic outcomes from thyroidectomy. Ann Surg 228:320–330.
120. Friedman M, Pacella BL, Jr 1990 Total versus subtotal thyroidectomy. Arguments, approaches, and recommendations. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 23:413–427.
121. Brierley JD, Panzarella T, Tsang RW, Gospodarowicz MK, O’Sullivan B 1997 A comparison of different staging systems predictability of patient outcome. Thyroid carcinoma as an example. Cancer 79:2414–2423.
122. Hay ID, Thompson GB, Grant CS, Bergstralh EJ, Dvorak CE, Gorman CA, Maurer MS, McIver B, Mullan BP, Oberg AL, Powell CC, van Heerden JA, Goellner JR 2002 Papillary thyroid carcinoma managed at the Mayo Clinic during six decades (1940–1999): temporal trends in initial therapy and long-term outcome in 2444 consecutively treated patients. World J Surg 26:879–885.
123. Lin JD, Chao TC, Huang MJ, Weng HF, Tzen KY 1998 Use of radioactive iodine for thyroid remnant ablation in well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma to replace thyroid re-operation. Am J Clin Oncol 21:77–81.
124. Esnaola NF, Cantor SB, Sherman SI, Lee JE, Evans DB 2001 Optimal treatment strategy in patients with papillary thyroid cancer: a decision analysis. Surgery 130:921–930.
125. Mazzaferri EL 1999 An overview of the management of papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 9:421–427.
126. Mazzaferri EL 2000 Long-term outcome of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma: effect of therapy. Endocr Pract 6:469–476.
127. Cooper DS, Specker B, Ho M, Sperling M, Ladenson PW, Ross DS, Ain KB, Bigos ST, Brierley JD, Haugen BR, Klein I, Robbins J, Sherman SI, Taylor T, Maxon HR 3rd 1998 Thyrotropin suppression and disease progression in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: results from the National Thyroid Cancer Treatment Cooperative Registry. Thyroid 8:737–744.
128. Kim TH, Yang DS, Jung KY, Kim CY, Choi MS 2003 Value of external irradiation for locally advanced papillary thyroid cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 55:1006–1012.
129. Grebe SK, Hay ID 1996 Thyroid cancer nodal metastases: biologic significance and therapeutic considerations. Surg Oncol Clin N Am 5:43–63.
130. Scheumann GF, Gimm O, Wegener G, Hundeshagen H, Dralle H 1994 Prognostic significance and surgical management of locoregional lymph node metastases in papillary thyroid cancer. World J Surg 18:559–568.
131. Ito Y, Uruno T, Nakano K, Takamura Y, Miya A, Kobayashi K, Yokozawa T, Matsuzuka F, Uchimi T, Kuwano M, Miyoshi E, Matsuura N, Kuma K, Miyauchi A 2003 An observation trial without surgical treatment in patients with papillary microcarcinoma of the thyroid. Thyroid 13:381–387.
132. Chow SM, Law SC, Chan JK, Au SK, Yau S, Lau WH 2003 Papillary microcarcinoma of the thyroid-Prognostic significance of lymph node metastasis and multifocality. Cancer 98:31–40.
133. Hay ID, Grant CS, van Heerden JA, Goellner JR, Ebersold JR, Bergstralh EJ 1992 Papillary thyroid microcarcinoma: a study of 535 cases observed in a 50-year period. Surgery 112:1139–1146; discussion 1146–1147.
134. Qubain SW, Nakano S, Baba M, Takao S, Aikou T 2002 Distribution of lymph node micrometastasis in pN0 well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Surgery 131:249–256.
135. Arturi F, Russo D, Giuffrida D, Ippolito A, Perrotti N, Vigneri R, Filetti S 1997 Early diagnosis by genetic analysis of differentiated thyroid cancer metastases in small lymph nodes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:1638–1641.
136. Solorzano CC, Carneiro DM, Ramirez M, Lee TM, Irvin GL3rd 2004 Surgeon-performed ultrasound in the management of thyroid malignancy. Am Surg 70:576–580; discussion 580–582.
137. Shimamoto K, Satake H, Sawaki A, Ishigaki T, Funahashi H, Imai T 1998 Preoperative staging of thyroid papillary carcinoma with ultrasonography. Eur J Radiol 29:4–10.
138. Stulak JM, Grant CS, Farley DR, Thompson GB, van Heerden JA, Hay ID, Reading CC, Charboneau JW 2006 Value of preoperative ultrasonography in the surgical management of initial and reoperative papillary thyroid cancer. Arch Surg 141:489–494.
139. Kouvaraki MA, Shapiro SE, Fornage BD, Edeiken-Monro BS, Sherman SI, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Lee JE, Evans DB 2003 Role of preoperative ultrasonography in the surgical management of patients with thyroid cancer. Surgery 134:946–954; discussion 954–955.
140. Leboulleux S, Girard E, Rose M, Travagli JP, Sabbah N, Caillou B, Hartl DM, Lassau N, Baudin E, Schlumberger M 2007 Ultrasound criteria of malignancy for cervical lymph nodes in patients followed up for differentiated thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3590–3594.
141. Frasoldati A, Valcavi R 2004 Challenges in neck ultrasonography: lymphadenopathy and parathyroid glands. Endocr Pract 10:261–268.
142. Kuna SK, Bracic I, Tesic V, Kuna K, Herceg GH, Dodig D 2006 Ultrasonographic differentiation of benign from malignant neck lymphadenopathy in thyroid cancer. J Ultrasound Med 25:1531–1537.
143. Frasoldati A, Pesenti M, Gallo M, Caroggio A, Salvo D, Valcavi R 2003 Diagnosis of neck recurrences in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Cancer 97:90–96.
144. Boi F, Baghino G, Atzeni F, Lai ML, Faa G, Mariotti S 2006 The diagnostic value for differentiated thyroid carcinoma metastases of thyroglobulin (Tg) measurement in washout fluid from fine-needle aspiration biopsy of neck lymph nodes is maintained in the presence of circulating anti-Tg antibodies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1364–1369.
145. Stephenson BM, Wheeler MH, Clark OH 1994 The role of total thyroidectomy in the management of differentiated thyroid cancer. Curr Opin Gen Surg 53–59.
146. Jeong HS, Baek CH, Son YI, Choi JY, Kim HJ, Ko YH, Chung JH, Baek HJ 2006 Integrated 18F-FDG PET/CT for the initial evaluation of cervical node level of patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma: comparison with ultrasound and contrast-enhanced CT. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 65: 402–407.
147. Kresnik E, Gallowitsch HJ, Mikosch P, Stettner H, Igerc I, Gomez I, Kumnig G, Lind P 2003 Fluorine-18fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in the preoperative assessment of thyroid nodules in an endemic goiter area. Surgery 133:294–299.
148. Zbaren P, Becker M, Lang H 1997 Pretherapeutic staging of hypopharyngeal carcinoma. Clinical findings, computed tomography, and magnetic resonance imaging compared with histopathologic evaluation. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 123:908–913.
149. Spencer CA, Bergoglio LM, Kazarosyan M, Fatemi S, Lo-Presti JS 2005 Clinical impact of thyroglobulin (Tg) and Tg autoantibody method differences on the management of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5566–5575.
150. Duren M, Yavuz N, Bukey Y, Ozyegin MA, Gundogdu S, Açbay O, Hatemi H, Uslu I, Onsel C, Aksoy F, Oz F, Unal G, Duren E 2000 Impact of initial surgical treatment on survival of patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: experience of an endocrine surgery center in an iodine-deficient region. World J Surg 24:1290–1294.
151. Gharib H, Goellner JR, Zinsmeister AR, Grant CS, Van Heerden JA 1984. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid. The problem of suspicious cytologic findings. Ann Intern Med 101:25–28.
152. Baloch ZW, Fleisher S, LiVolsi VA, Gupta PK 2002 Diagnosis of “follicular neoplasm”: a gray zone in thyroid fine-needle aspiration cytology. Diagn Cytopathol 26:41–44.
153. Sclabas GM, Staerkel GA, Shapiro SE, Fornage BD, Sherman SI, Vassillopoulou-Sellin R, Lee JE, Evans DB 2003 Fine-needle aspiration of the thyroid and correlation with histopathology in a contemporary series of 240 patients. Am J Surg 186:702–709; discussion 709–710.
154. Goldstein RE, Netterville JL, Burkey B, Johnson JE 2002 Implications of follicular neoplasms, atypia, and lesions suspicious for malignancy diagnosed by fine-needle aspiration of thyroid nodules. Ann Surg 235:656–662.
155. Schlinkert RT, van Heerden JA, Goellner JR, Gharib H, Smith SL, Rosales RF, Weaver AL 1997 Factors that predict malignant thyroid lesions when fine-needle aspiration is “suspicious for follicular neoplasm”. Mayo Clin Proc 72:913–916.
156. Bilimoria KY, Bentrem DJ, Ko CY, Stewart AK, Winchester DP, Talamonti MS, Sturgeon C 2007 Extent of surgery affects survival for papillary thyroid cancer. Ann Surg 246:375–381.
157. Rubino C, de Vathaire F, Dottorini ME, Hall P, Schvartz C, Couette JE, Dondon MG, Abbas MT, Langlois C, Schlumberger M 2003 Second primary malignancies in thyroid cancer patients. Br J Cancer 89:1638–1644.
158. Mazzaferri EL, Young RL 1981 Papillary thyroid carcinoma: a 10 year follow-up report of the impact of therapy in 576 patients. Am J Med 70:511–518.
159. DeGroot LJ, Kaplan EL, McCormick M, Straus FH 1990 Natural history, treatment, and course of papillary thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 71:414–424.
160. Samaan NA, Schultz PN, Hickey RC, Goepfert H, Haynie TP, Johnston DA, Ordonez NG 1992 The results of various modalities of treatment of well differentiated thyroid carcinomas: a retrospective review of 1599 patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 75:714–720.
161. Shaha AR, Shah JP, Loree TR 1997 Differentiated thyroid cancer presenting initially with distant metastasis. Am J Surg 174:474–476.
162. Sanders LE, Cady B 1998 Differentiated thyroid cancer: reexamination of risk groups and outcome of treatment. Arch Surg 133:419–425.
163. Podnos YD, Smith D, Wagman LD, Ellenhorn JD 2005 The implication of lymph node metastasis on survival in patients with well-differentiated thyroid cancer. Am Surg 71:731–734.
164. Zaydfudim V, Feurer ID, Griffin MR, Phay JE 2008 The impact of lymph node involvement on survival in patients with papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma. Surgery 144:1070–1077; discussion 1077–1078.
165. Leboulleux S, Rubino C, Baudin E, Caillou B, Hartl DM, Bidart JM, Travagli JP, Schlumberger M 2005 Prognostic factors for persistent or recurrent disease of papillary thyroid carcinoma with neck lymph node metastases and/or tumor extension beyond the thyroid capsule at initial diagnosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5723–5729.
166. Robbins KT, Shaha AR, Medina JE, Califano JA, Wolf GT, Ferlito A, Som PM, Day TA; Committee for Neck Dissection Classification, American Head and Neck Society 2008 Consensus statement on the classification and terminology of neck dissection. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:536–538.
167. Olson JA, Jr., DeBenedetti MK, Baumann DS, Wells SA, Jr 1996 Parathyroid autotransplantation during thyroidectomy. Results of long-term follow-up. Ann Surg 223:472–478; discussion 478–480.
168. Gimm O, Rath FW, Dralle H 1998 Pattern of lymph node metastases in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Br J Surg 85:252–254.
169. Henry JF, Gramatica L, Denizot A, Kvachenyuk A, Puccini M, Defechereux T 1998 Morbidity of prophylactic lymph node dissection in the central neck area in patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma. Langenbecks Arch Surg 383:167–169.
170. Cheah WK, Arici C, Ituarte PH, Siperstein AE, Duh QY, Clark OH 2002 Complications of neck dissection for thyroid cancer. World J Surg 26:1013–1016.
171. White ML, Gauger PG, Doherty GM 2007 Central lymph node dissection in differentiated thyroid cancer. World J Surg 31:895–904.
172. Bonnet S, Hartl D, Leboulleux S, Baudin E, Lumbroso JD, Al Ghuzlan A, Chami L, Schlumberger M, Travagli JP 2009 Prophylactic lymph node dissection for papillary thyroid cancer less than 2 cm: implications for radioiodine treatment. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:1162–1167.
173. The ATA Surgery Working Group 2009 Consensus Statement on the Terminology and Classification of Central Neck Dissection for Thyroid Cancer. Thyroid 19:1153–1158.
174. Tisell LE, Nilsson B, Molne J, Hansson G, Fjälling M, Jansson S, Wingren U 1996 Improved survival of patients with papillary thyroid cancer after surgical microdissection. World J Surg 20:854–859.
175. Sywak M, Cornford L, Roach P, Stalberg P, Sidhu S, Del-bridge L 2006 Routine ipsilateral level VI lymphadenectomy reduces postoperative thyroglobulin levels in papillary thyroid cancer. Surgery 140:1000–1007.
176. Roh JL, Park JY, Park CI 2007 Total thyroidectomy plus neck dissection in differentiated papillary thyroid carcinoma patients: pattern of nodal metastasis, morbidity, recurrence, and postoperative levels of serum parathyroid hormone. Ann Surg 245:604–610.
177. Cavicchi O, Piccin O, Caliceti U, De Cataldis A, Pasquali R, Ceroni AR 2007 Transient hypoparathyroidism following thyroidectomy: a prospective study and multivariate analysis of 604 consecutive patients. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:654–658.
178. Lee YS, Kim SW, Kim SW, Kim SK, Kang HS, Lee ES, Chung KW 2007 Extent of routine central lymph node dissection with small papillary thyroid carcinoma. World J Surg 31:1954–1959.
179. Kozak OV, Muzichenko LV, Trembach AM, Voit NU, Turicina VV 2006 First treatment activity and outcome of radioiodine therapy in thyroid cancer patients with metastases in lymph nodes: mathematical correlation and clinical implications. Exp Oncol 28:75–79.
180. Machens A, Hinze R, Thomusch O, Dralle H 2002 Pattern of nodal metastasis for primary and reoperative thyroid cancer. World J Surg 26:22–28.
181. Gemsenjager E, Perren A, Seifert B, Schuler G, Schweizer I, Heitz PU 2003 Lymph node surgery in papillary thyroid carcinoma. J Am Coll Surg 197:182–190.
182. Kupferman ME, Patterson M, Mandel SJ, LiVolsi V, Weber RS 2004 Patterns of lateral neck metastasis in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:857–860.
183. Kupferman ME, Patterson DM, Mandel SJ, LiVolsi V, Weber RS 2004 Safety of modified radical neck dissection for differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Laryngoscope 114:403–406.
184. Goropoulos A, Karamoshos K, Christodoulou A, Ntitsias T, Paulou K, Samaras A, Xirou P, Efstratiou I 2004 Value of the cervical compartments in the surgical treatment of papillary thyroid carcinoma. World J Surg 28:1275–1281.
185. Pacini F, Elisei R, Capezzone M, Miccoli P, Molinaro E, Basolo F, Agate L, Bottici V, Raffaelli M, Pinchera A 2001 Contralateral papillary thyroid cancer is frequent at completion thyroidectomy with no difference in low-and high-risk patients. Thyroid 11:877–881.
186. Pasieka JL, Thompson NW, McLeod MK, Burney RE, Macha M 1992 The incidence of bilateral well-differentiated thyroid cancer found at completion thyroidectomy. World J Surg 16:711–716; discussion 716–717.
187. Kim ES, Kim TY, Koh JM, Kim YI, Hong SJ, Kim WB, Shong YK 2004 Completion thyroidectomy in patients with thyroid cancer who initially underwent unilateral operation. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 61:145–148.
188. Erdem E, Gulcelik MA, Kuru B, Alagol H 2003 Comparison of completion thyroidectomy and primary surgery for differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Eur J Surg Oncol 29:747–749.
189. Randolph GW, Daniels GH 2002 Radioactive iodine lobe ablation as an alternative to completion thyroidectomy for follicular carcinoma of the thyroid. Thyroid 12:989–996.
190. Loh KC, Greenspan FS, Gee L, Miller TR, Yeo PP 1997 Pathological tumor-node-metastasis (pTNM) staging for papillary and follicular thyroid carcinomas: a retrospective analysis of 700 patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:3553–3562.
191. Wittekind C, Compton CC, Greene FL, Sobin LH 2002 TNM residual tumor classification revisited. Cancer 94:2511–2516.
192. Byar DP, Green SB, Dor P, Williams ED, Colon J, van Gilse HA, Mayer M, Sylvester RJ, van Glabbeke M 1979 A prognostic index for thyroid carcinoma. A study of the E.O.R.T.C. Thyroid Cancer Cooperative Group. Eur J Cancer 15:1033–1041.
193. Cady B, Rossi R 1988 An expanded view of risk-group definition in differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Surgery 104:947–953.
194. Shaha AR, Loree TR, Shah JP 1995 Prognostic factors and risk group analysis in follicular carcinoma of the thyroid. Surgery 118:1131–1136; discussion 1136–1138.
195. Sherman SI, Brierley JD, Sperling M, Ain KB, Bigos ST, Cooper DS, Haugen BR, Ho M, Klein I, Ladenson PW, Robbins J, Ross DS, Specker B, Taylor T, Maxon HR 3rd 1998 Prospective multicenter study of thyroid carcinoma treatment: initial analysis of staging and outcome. National Thyroid Cancer Treatment Cooperative Study Registry Group. Cancer 83:1012–1021.
196. Eustatia-Rutten CF, Corssmit EP, Biermasz NR, Pereira AM, Romijn JA, Smit JW 2006 Survival and death causes in differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:313–319.
197. Schlumberger M, Berg G, Cohen O, Duntas L, Jamar F, Jarzab B, Limbert E, Lind P, Pacini F, Reiners C, Sa´nchez Franco F, Toft A, Wiersinga WM 2004 Follow-up of low-risk patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a European perspective. Eur J Endocrinol 150:105–112.
198. Toubeau M, Touzery C, Arveux P, Chaplain G, Vaillant G, Berriolo A, Riedinger JM, Boichot C, Cochet A, Brunotte F 2004 Predictive value for disease progression of serum thyroglobulin levels measured in the postoperative period and after (131)I ablation therapy in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer. J Nucl Med 45:988–994.
199. Rouxel A, Hejblum G, Bernier MO, Boelle PY, Menegaux F, Mansour G, Hoang C, Aurengo A, Leenhardt L 2004 Prognostic factors associated with the survival of patients developing loco-regional recurrences of differentiated thyroid carcinomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:5362–5368.
200. Cailleux AF, Baudin E, Travagli JP, Ricard M, Schlumberger M 2000 Is diagnostic iodine-131 scanning useful after total thyroid ablation for differentiated thyroid cancer? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:175–178.
201. Bachelot A, Cailleux AF, Klain M, Baudin E, Ricard M, Bellon N, Caillou B, Travagli JP, Schlumberger M 2002 Relationship between tumor burden and serum thyroglobulin level in patients with papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 12:707–711.
202. Wenig BM, Thompson LD, Adair CF, Shmookler B, Heffess CS 1998 Thyroid papillary carcinoma of columnar cell type: a clinicopathologic study of 16 cases. Cancer 82:740–753.
203. Prendiville S, Burman KD, Ringel MD, Shmookler BM, Deeb ZE, Wolfe K, Azumi N, Wartofsky L, Sessions RB 2000 Tall cell variant: an aggressive form of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 122:352–357.
204. Akslen LA, Livolsi VA 2000 Prognostic significance of histologic grading compared with subclassification of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Cancer 88:1902–1908.
205. Kim TY, Kim WB, Kim ES, Ryu JS, Yeo JS, Kim SC, Hong SJ, Shong YK 2005 Serum thyroglobulin levels at the time of 131I remnant ablation just after thyroidectomy are useful for early prediction of clinical recurrence in low-risk patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1440–1445.
206. Tuttle RM, Leboeuf R 2008 Follow up approaches in thyroid cancer: a risk adapted paradigm. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 37:419–435.
207. Mazzaferri EL, Jhiang SM 1994 Differentiated thyroid cancer long-term impact of initial therapy. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc 106:151–168; discussion 168–170.
208. Taylor T, Specker B, Robbins J, Sperling M, Ho M, Ain K, Bigos ST, Brierley J, Cooper D, Haugen B, Hay I, Hertzberg V, Klein I, Klein H, Ladenson P, Nishiyama R, Ross D, Sherman S, Maxon HR 1998 Outcome after treatment of high-risk papillary and non-Hürthle-cell follicular thyroid carcinoma. Ann Intern Med 129:622–627.
209. Sawka AM, Brierley JD, Tsang RW, Thabane L, Rotstein L, Gafni A, Straus S, Goldstein DP 2008 An updated systematic review and commentary examining the effectiveness of radioactive iodine remnant ablation in well-differentiated thyroid cancer. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 37:457–480.
210. Kim S, Wei JP, Braveman JM, Brams DM 2004 Predicting outcome and directing therapy for papillary thyroid carcinoma. Arch Surg 139:390–394; discussion 393–394.
211. Sugitani I, Fujimoto Y 1999 Symptomatic versus asymptomatic papillary thyroid microcarcinoma: a retrospective analysis of surgical outcome and prognostic factors. Endocr J.46:209–216.
212. Lundgren CI, Hall P, Dickman PW, Zedenius J 2007 Influence of surgical and postoperative treatment on survival in differentiated thyroid cancer. Br J Surg 94:571–577.
213. Mazzaferri EL1997 Thyroid remnant 131I ablation for papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 7:265–271.
214. Jonklaas J, Sarlis NJ, Litofsky D, Ain KB, Bigos ST, Brierley JD, Cooper DS, Haugen BR, Ladenson PW, Magner J, Robbins J, Ross DS, Skarulis M, Maxon HR, Sherman SI 2006 Outcomes of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma following initial therapy. Thyroid 16:1229–1242.
215. Jung TS, Kim TY, Kim KW, Oh YL, Park do J, Cho BY, Shong YK, Kim WB, Park YJ, Jung JH, Chung JH 2007 Clinical features and prognostic factors for survival in patients with poorly differentiated thyroid carcinoma and comparison to the patients with the aggressive variants of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Endocr J. 54:265–274.
216. Hay ID, Hutchinson ME, Gonzalez-Losada T, McIver B, Reinalda ME, Grant CS, Thompson GB, Sebo TJ, Goellner JR 2009 Papillary thyroid microcarcinoma: a study of 900 cases observed in a 60-year period. Surgery 144:980–987.
217. Ross DS, Litofsky D, Ain KB, Brierley JD, Cooper DS, Haugen BR, Jonklaas J, Ladenson PW, Magner J, Robbins J, Skarulis MC, Steward DL, Maxon HR, Sherman SI 2009 Recurrence after treatment of micropapillary thyroid cancer. Thyroid 19:1043–1048.
218. Edmonds CJ, Hayes S, Kermode JC., Thompson BD 1977 Measurement of serum TSH and thyroid hormones in the management of treatment of thyroid carcinoma with radioiodine. Br J Radiol 50:799–807.
219. Torres MS, Ramirez L, Simkin PH, Braverman LE, Emerson CH 2001 Effect of various doses of recombinant human thyrotropin on the thyroid radioactive iodine uptake and serum levels of thyroid hormones and thyroglobulin in normal subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1660–1664.
220. Hershman JM, Edwards CL 1972 Serum thyrotropin (TSH) levels after thyroid ablation compared with TSH levels after exogenous bovine TSH: implications for 131-I treatment of thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 34:814–818.
221. Martin ND 1978 Endogenous serum TSH levels and metastatic survey scans in thyroid cancer patients using triiodothyronine withdrawal. Clin Nucl Med 3:401–403.
222. Hilts SV, Hellman D, Anderson J, Woolfenden J, Van Antwerp J, Patton D 1979 Serial TSH determination after T3 withdrawal or thyroidectomy in the therapy of thyroid carcinoma. J Nucl Med 20:928–932.
223. Goldman JM, Line BR, Aamodt RL, Robbins J 1980 Influence of triiodothyronine withdrawal time on 131I uptake postthyroidectomy for thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 50:734–739.
224. Schneider AB, Line B, Goldman JM, Robbins J 1981 Sequential serum thyroglobulin determinations, 131I scans, and 131I uptakes after triiodothyronine withdrawal in patients with thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 53:1199–1206.
225. Maxon HR, Thomas SR, Hertzberg VS, Kereiakes JG, Chen IW, Sperling MI, Saenger EL 1983 Relation between effective radiation dose and outcome of radioiodine therapy for thyroid cancer. N Engl J Med 309:937–941.
226. Liel Y 2002 Preparation for radioactive iodine administration in differentiated thyroid cancer patients. Clin Endocrinol(Oxf) 57:523–527.
227. Sanchez R, Espinosa-de-los-Monteros AL, Mendoza V, Brea E, Hernandez I, Sosa E, Mercado M 2002 Adequate thyroid-stimulating hormone levels after levothyroxine discontinuation in the follow-up of patients with well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Arch Med Res 33:478–481.
228. Grigsby PW, Siegel BA, Bekker S, Clutter WE, Moley JF 2004 Preparation of patients with thyroid cancer for 131I scintigraphy or therapy by 1–3 weeks of thyroxine discontinuation. J Nucl Med 45:567–570.
229. Serhal DI, Nasrallah MP, Arafah BM 2004 Rapid rise in serum thyrotropin concentrations after thyroidectomy or withdrawal of suppressive thyroxine therapy in preparation for radioactive iodine administration to patients with differentiated thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3285–3289.
230. Leboeuf R, Perron P, Carpentier AC, Verreault J, Langlois MF 2007 L-T3 preparation for whole-body scintigraphy: a randomized-controlled trial. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 67:839–844.
231. Guimaraes V, DeGroot LJ 1996 Moderate hypothyroidism in preparation for whole body 131I scintiscans and thyroglobulin testing. Thyroid 6:69–73.
232. Maxon HR 1999 Detection of residual and recurrent thyroid cancer by radionuclide imaging. Thyroid 9:443–446.
233. Kuijt WJ, Huang SA 2005 Children with differentiated thyroid cancer achieve adequate hyperthyrotropinemia within 14 days of levothyroxine withdrawal. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:6123–6125.
234. Heemstra KA, Liu YY, Stokkel M, Kievit J, Corssmit E, Pereira AM, Romijn JA, Smit JW 2007 Serum thyroglobulin concentrations predict disease-free remission and death in differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 66:58–64.
235. Robbins RJ, Larson SM, Sinha N, Shaha A, Divgi C, Pentlow KS, Ghossein R, Tuttle RM 2002 A retrospective review of the effectiveness of recombinant human TSH as a preparation for radioiodine thyroid remnant ablation. J Nucl Med 43:1482–1488.
236. Pacini F, Molinaro E, Castagna MG, Lippi F, Ceccarelli C, Agate L, Elisei R, Pinchera A 2002 Ablation of thyroid residues with 30 mCi (131)I: a comparison in thyroid cancer patients prepared with recombinant human TSH or thyroid hormone withdrawal. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4063–4068.
237. Pacini F, Ladenson PW, Schlumberger M, Driedger A, Luster M, Kloos RT, Sherman S, Haugen B, Corone C, Molinaro E, Elisei R, Ceccarelli C, Pinchera A, Wahl RL, Leboulleux S, Ricard M, Yoo J, Busaidy NL, Delpassand E, Hanscheid H, Felbinger R, Lassmann M, Reiners C 2006 Radioiodine ablation of thyroid remnants after preparation with recombinant human thyrotropin in differentiated thyroid carcinoma: results of an international, randomized, controlled study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:926–932.
238. Pilli T, Brianzoni E, Capoccetti F, Castagna MG, Fattori S, Poggiu A, Rossi G, Ferretti F, Guarino E, Burroni L, Vattimo A, Cipri C, Pacini F 2007 A comparison of 1850 (50 mCi) and 3700 MBq (100 mCi) 131-iodine administered doses for recombinant thyrotropin-stimulated postoperative thyroid remnant ablation in differentiated thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3542–3546.
239. Chianelli M, Todino V, Graziano F, Panunzi C, Pace D, Guglielmi R, Signore A, Papini E 2009 Low dose (2.0 GBq; 54 mCi) radioiodine postsurgical remnant ablation in thyroid cancer: comparison between hormone withdrawal and use of rhTSH in low risk patients. Eur J Endocrinol 160: 431–436.
240. Tuttle RM, Brokhin M, Omry G, Martorella AJ, Larson SM, Grewal RK, Fleisher M, Robbins RJ 2008. Recombinant human TSH-assisted radioactive iodine remnant ablation achieves short-term clinical recurrence rates similar to those of traditional thyroid hormone withdrawal. J Nucl Med 49:764–770.
241. Carril JM, Quirce R, Serrano J, Banzo I, Jiménez-Bonilla JF, Tabuenca O, Barquín RG 1997 Total-body scintigraphy with thallium-201 and iodine-131 in the follow-up of differentiated thyroid cancer. J Nucl Med 38:686–692.
242. Muratet JP, Giraud P, Daver A, Minier JF, Gamelin E, Larra F 1997 Predicting the efficacy of first iodine-131 treatment in differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Nucl Med 38:1362–1368.
243. Leger AF, Pellan M, Dagousset F, Chevalier A, Keller I, Clerc J 2005 A case of stunning of lung and bone metastases of papillary thyroid cancer after a therapeutic dose (3.7 GBq) of 131I and review of the literature: implications for sequential treatments. Br J Radiol 78:428–432.
244. Park HM, Park YH, Zhou XH 1997 Detection of thyroid remnant/metastasis without stunning: an ongoing dilemma. Thyroid 7:277–280.
245. Hilditch TE, Dempsey MF, Bolster AA, McMenemin RM, Reed NS 2002 Self-stunning in thyroid ablation: evidence from comparative studies of diagnostic 131I and 123I. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29:783–788.
246. Morris LF, Waxman AD, Braunstein GD 2001 The nonimpact of thyroid stunning: remnant ablation rates in 131I scanned and nonscanned individuals. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:3507–3511
247. Lassmann M, Luster M, Hanscheid H, Reiners C 2004 Impact of (131)I diagnostic activities on the biokinetics of thyroid remnants. J Nucl Med 45:619–625.
248. Anderson GS, Fish S, Nakhoda K, Zhuang H, Alava A, Mandel SJ 2003 Comparison of I-123 and I-131 for whole-body imaging after stimulation by recombinant human thyrotropin: a preliminary report. Clin Nucl Med 28:93–96.
249. Gerard SK, Cavalieri RR 2002 I-123 diagnostic thyroid tumor whole-body scanning with imaging at 6, 24, and 48 hours. Clin Nucl Med 27:1–8.
250. Silberstein EB 2007 Comparison of outcomes after (123)I versus (131)I pre-ablation imaging before radioiodine ablation in differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Nucl Med 48:1043–1046.
251. Rosario PW, Reis JS, Barroso AL, Rezende LL, Padrao EL, Fagundes TA 2004 Efficacy of low and high 131I doses for thyroid remnant ablation in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma based on post-operative cervical uptake. Nucl Med Commun 25:1077–1081.
252. Bal C, Padhy AK, Jana S, Pant GS, Basu AK 1996 Prospective randomized clinical trial to evaluate the optimal dose of 131 I for remnant ablation in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Cancer 77:2574–2580.
253. Creutzig H 1987 High or low dose radioiodine ablation of thyroid remnants? Eur J Nucl Med 12:500–502.
254. Johansen K, Woodhouse NJ, Odugbesan O1991 Comparison of 1073 MBq and 3700 MBq iodine-131 in postoperative ablation of residual thyroid tissue in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer. J Nucl Med 32:252–254.
255. Doi SA, Woodhouse NJ 2000 Ablation of the thyroid remnant and 131I dose in differentiated thyroid cancer. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 52:765–773.
256. Hackshaw A, Harmer C, Mallick U, Haq M, Franklyn JA 2007 131I activity for remnant ablation in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: a systematic review. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:28–38.
257. Maenpaa HO, Heikkonen J, Vaalavirta L, Tenhunen M, Joensuu H 2008 Low vs. high radioiodine activity to ablate the thyroid after thyroidectomy for cancer: a randomized study. PLoS ONE 3:e1885.
258. Barbaro D, Boni G, Meucci G, Simi U, Lapi P, Orsini P, Pasquini C, Piazza F, Caciagli M, Mariani G 2003 Radioiodine treatment with 30 mCi after recombinant human thyrotropin stimulation in thyroid cancer: effectiveness for postsurgical remnants ablation and possible role of iodine content in L-thyroxine in the outcome of ablation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:4110–4115.
259. Franzius C, Dietlein M, Biermann M, Frühwald M, Linden T, Bucsky P, Reiners C, Schober O 2007 Procedure guideline for radioiodine therapy and 131iodine whole-body scintigraphy in paediatric patients with differentiated thyroid cancer. Nuklearmedizin 46:224–231.
260. Jarzab B, Handkiewicz-Junak D, Wloch J 2005 Juvenile differentiated thyroid carcinoma and the role of radioiodine in its treatment: a qualitative review. Endocr Relat Cancer 12:773–803.
261. Maxon HR, Thomas SR, Boehringer A, Drilling J, Sperling MI, Sparks JC, Chen IW 1983 Low iodine diet in I-131 ablation of thyroid remnants. Clin Nucl Med 8:123–126.
262. Goslings BM 1975 Proceedings: Effect of a low iodine diet on 131-I therapy in follicular thyroid carcinomata. J Endocrinol 64:30P.
263. Pluijmen MJ, Eustatia-Rutten C, Goslings BM, Stokkel MP, Arias AM, Diamant M, Romijn JA, Smit JW 2003 Effects of low-iodide diet on postsurgical radioiodide ablation therapy in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 58:428–435.
264. Fatourechi V, Hay ID, Mullan BP, Wiseman GA, Eghbali-Fatourechi GZ, Thorson LM, Gorman CA 2000 Are post-therapy radioiodine scans informative and do they influence subsequent therapy of patients with differentiated thyroid cancer? Thyroid 10:573–577.
265. Sherman SI, Tielens ET, Sostre S, Wharam MD Jr, Ladenson PW 1994 Clinical utility of posttreatment radioiodine scans in the management of patients with thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 78:629–634.
266. Souza Rosario PW, Barroso AL, Rezende LL, Padrao EL, Fagundes TA, Penna GC, Purisch S 2004 Post I-131 therapy scanning in patients with thyroid carcinoma metastases: an unnecessary cost or a relevant contribution? Clin Nucl Med 29:795–798.
267. Wong KK, Zarzhevsky N, Cahill JM, Frey KA, Avram AM 2008 Incremental value of diagnostic 131I SPECT/CT fusion imaging in the evaluation of differentiated thyroid carcinoma. AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:1785–1794.
268. Brabant G 2008 Thyrotropin suppressive therapy in thyroid carcinoma: what are the targets? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:1167–1169.
269. McGriff NJ, Csako G, Gourgiotis L, Lori CG, Pucino F, Sarlis NJ 2002 Effects of thyroid hormone suppression therapy on adverse clinical outcomes in thyroid cancer. Ann Med 34:554–564.
270. Pujol P, Daures JP, Nsakala N, Baldet L, Bringer J, Jaffiol C 1996 Degree of thyrotropin suppression as a prognostic determinant in differentiated thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:4318–4323.
271. Hovens GC, Stokkel MP, Kievit J, Corssmit EP, Pereira AM, Romijn JA, Smit JW 2007 Associations of serum thyrotropin concentrations with recurrence and death in differentiated thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2610–2615.
272. Sawin CT, Geller A, Wolf PA, Belanger AJ, Baker E, Bacharach P, Wilson PW, Benjamin EJ, D’Agostino RB 1994 Low serum thyrotropin concentrations as a risk factor for atrial fibrillation in older persons. N Engl J Med 33:1249–1252.
274. Wilson PC, Millar BM, Brierley JD 2004 The management of advanced thyroid cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 16:561–568.
275. Ford D, Giridharan S, McConkey C, Hartley A, Brammer C, Watkinson JC, Glaholm J 2003 External beam radiotherapy in the management of differentiated thyroid cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 15:337–341.
276. Terezakis SA, Lee KS, Ghossein RA, Rivera M, Tuttle RM, Wolden SL, Zelefsky MJ, Wong RJ, Patel SG, Pfister DG, Shaha AR, Lee NY 2008 Role of external beam radiotherapy in patients with advanced or recurrent non-anaplastic thyroid cancer: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:795–801.
277. Brierley J, Tsang R, Panzarella T, Bana N 2005 Prognostic factors and the effect of treatment with radioactive iodine and external beam radiation on patients with differentiated thyroid cancer seen at a single institution over 40 years. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 63:418–427.
278. Sanders EM Jr, LiVolsi VA, Brierley J, Shin J, Randolph GW 2007 An evidence-based review of poorly differentiated thyroid cancer. World J Surg 31:934–945.
279. Kim JH, Leeper RD 1987 Treatment of locally advanced thyroid carcinoma with combination doxorubicin and radiation therapy. Cancer 60:2372–2375.
280. Links TP, van Tol KM, Jager PL, Plukker JT, Piers DA, Boezen HM, Dullaart RP, de Vries EG, Sluiter WJ 2005 Life expectancy in differentiated thyroid cancer: a novel approach to survival analysis. Endocr Relat Cancer 12:273–280.
281. Brown AP, Chen J, Hitchcock YJ, Szabo A, Schrieve DC, Tward JD 2008 The risk of second primary malignancies up to three decades after the treatment of differentiated thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:504–515.
282. Berthe E, Henry-Amar M, Michels JJ, Rame JP, Berthet P, Babin E, Icard P, Samama G, Galateau-Sallé F, Mahoudeau J, Bardet S 2004 Risk of second primary cancer following differentiated thyroid cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 31:685–691.
283. Biondi B, Filetti S, Schlumberger M 2005 Thyroid-hormone therapy and thyroid cancer: a reassessment. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 1:32–40.
284. Eustatia-Rutten CF, Smit JW, Romijn JA, van der Kleij-Corssmit EP, Pereira AM, Stokkel MP, Kievit J 2004 Diagnostic value of serum thyroglobulin measurements in the follow-up of differentiated thyroid carcinoma, a structured meta-analysis. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 61:61–74.
285. Mazzaferri EL, Robbins RJ, Braverman LE, Pacini F, Haugen B, Wartofsky L, Haugen BR, Sherman SI, Cooper DS, Braunstein GD, Lee S, Davies TF, Arafah BM, Ladenson PW, Pinchera A 2003 Authors’ response: a consensus report of the role of serum thyroglobulin as a monitoring method for low-risk patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab;88:4508–4509.
286. Bachelot A, Leboulleux S, Baudin E, Hartl DM, Caillou B, Travagli JP, Schlumberger M 2005 Neck recurrence from thyroid carcinoma: serum thyroglobulin and high-dose total body scan are not reliable criteria for cure after radioiodine treatment. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 62:376–379.
287. Robbins RJ, Srivastava S, Shaha A, Ghossein R, Larson SM, Fleisher M, Tuttle RM 2004 Factors influencing the Basal and recombinant human thyrotropin-stimulated serum thyroglobulin in patients with metastatic thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:6010–6016.
288. Kloos RT, Mazzaferri EL 2005 A single recombinant human thyrotrophin-stimulated serum thyroglobulin measurement predicts differentiated thyroid carcinoma metastases three to five years later. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5047–5057.
289. Castagna MG, Brilli L, Pilli T, Montanaro A, Cipri C, Fioravanti C, Sestini F, Capezzone M, Pacini F 2008 Limited value of repeat recombinant thyrotropin (rhTSH)-stimulated thyroglobulin testing in differentiated thyroid carcinoma patients with previous negative rhTSH-stimulated thyroglobulin and undetectable basal serum thyroglobulin levels. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:76–81.
290. Torlontano M, Crocetti U, Augello G, D’Aloiso L, Bonfitto N, Varraso A, Dicembrino F, Modoni S, Frusciante V, Di Giorgio A, Bruno R, Filetti S, Trischitta V 2006 Comparative evaluation of recombinant human thyrotropin-stimulated thyroglobulin levels, 131I whole-body scintigraphy, and neck ultrasonography in the follow-up of patients with papillary thyroid microcarcinoma who have not undergone radioiodine therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:60–63.
291. Smallridge RC, Meek SE, Morgan MA, Gates GS, Fox TP, Grebe S, Fatourechi V 2007 Monitoring thyroglobulin in a sensitive immunoassay has comparable sensitivity to recombinant human TSH-stimulated thyroglobulin in follow-up of thyroid cancer patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:82–87.
292. Iervasi A, Iervasi G, Ferdeghini M, Solimeo C, Bottoni A, Rossi L, Colato C, Zucchelli GC 2007 Clinical relevance of highly sensitive Tg assay in monitoring patients treated for differentiated thyroid cancer. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 67:434–441.
293. Schlumberger M, Hitzel A, Toubert ME, Corone C, Troalen F, Schlageter MH, Claustrat F, Koscielny S, Taieb D, Toubeau M, Bonichon F, Borson-Chazot F, Leenhardt L, Schvartz C, Dejax C, Brenot-Rossi I, Torlontano M, Tenenbaum F, Bardet S, Bussière F, Girard JJ, Morel O, Schneegans O, Schlienger JL, Prost A, So D, Archambeaud F, Ricard M, Benhamou E 2007 Comparison of seven serum thyroglobulin assays in the follow-up of papillary and follicular thyroid cancer patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2487–2495.
294. Baudin E, Do Cao C, Cailleux AF, Leboulleux S, Travagli JP, Schlumberger M 2003 Positive predictive value of serum thyroglobulin levels, measured during the first year of follow-up after thyroid hormone withdrawal, in thyroid cancer patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1107–1111.
295. Haugen BR, Pacini F, Reiners C, Schlumberger M, Ladenson PW, Sherman SI, Cooper DS, Graham KE, Braver-man LE, Skarulis MC, Davies TF, DeGroot LJ, Mazzaferri EL, Daniels GH, Ross DS, Luster M, Samuels MH, Becker DV, Maxon HR 3rd, Cavalieri RR, Spencer CA, McEllin K, Weintraub BD, Ridgway EC 1999 A comparison of recombinant human thyrotropin and thyroid hormone withdrawal for the detection of thyroid remnant or cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:3877–3885.
296. David A, Blotta A, Bondanelli M, Rossi R, Roti E, Braver-man LE, Busutti L, degli Uberti EC 2001 Serum thyroglobulin concentrations and (131)I whole-body scan results in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma after administration of recombinant human thyroid-stimulating hormone. J Nucl Med 42:1470–1475.
297. Mazzaferri EL, Kloos RT 2002 Is diagnostic iodine-131 scanning with recombinant human TSH (rhTSH) useful in the follow-up of differentiated thyroid cancer after thyroid ablation? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:1490–1498.
298. Haugen BR, Ridgway EC, McLaughlin BA, McDermott MT 2002 Clinical comparison of whole-body radioiodine scan and serum thyroglobulin after stimulation with recombinant human thyrotropin. Thyroid 12:37–43.
299. Lima N, Cavaliere H, Tomimori E, Knobel M, Medeiros-Neto G 2002 Prognostic value of serial serum thyroglobulin determinations after total thyroidectomy for differentiated thyroid cancer. J Endocrinol Invest 25:110–115.
300. Wartofsky L 2002 Management of low-risk well-differentiated thyroid cancer based only on thyroglobulin measurement after recombinant human thyrotropin. Thyroid 12:583–590.
301. Schaap J, Eustatia-Rutten CF, Stokkel M, Links TP, Diamant M, van der Velde EA, Romijn JA, Smit JW 2002 Does radioiodine therapy have disadvantageous effects in non-iodine accumulating differentiated thyroid carcinoma? Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 57:117–124.
302. Spencer CA, LoPresti JS, Fatemi S, Nicoloff JT 1999 Detection of residual and recurrent differentiated thyroid carcinoma by serum thyroglobulin measurement. Thyroid 9:435–441. Review.
303. Hollowell JG, Staehling NW, Flanders WD, Hannon WH, Gunter EW, Spencer CA, Braverman LE 2002 Serum TSH, T(4), and thyroid antibodies in the United States population (1988 to 1994): National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:489–499.
304. Spencer CA 2004 Challenges of serum thyroglobulin (thyroglobulin) measurement in the presence of thyroglobulin autoantibodies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3702–3704.
305. Spencer CA, Takeuchi M, Kazarosyan M, Wang CC, Guttler RB, Singer PA, Fatemi S, LoPresti JS, Nicoloff JT 1998 Serum thyroglobulin autoantibodies: prevalence, influence on serum thyroglobulin measurement, and prognostic significance in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:1121–1127.
306. Chiovato L, Latrofa F, Braverman LE, Pacini F, Capezzone M, Masserini L, Grasso L, Pinchera A 2003 Disappearance of humoral thyroid autoimmunity after complete removal of thyroid antigens. Ann Intern Med 139:346–351.
307. Schlumberger M, Mancusi F, Baudin E, Pacini F 1997 131-I Therapy for elevated thyroglobulin levels. Thyroid 7:273–276.
308. Mazzaferri EL, Kloos RT 2001 Current approaches to primary therapy for papillary and follicular thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1447–1463.
309. Pacini F, Capezzone M, Elisei R, Ceccarelli C, Taddei D, Pinchera A 2002 Diagnostic 131-iodine whole-body scan may be avoided in thyroid cancer patients who have undetectable stimulated serum thyroglobulin levels after initial treatment. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:1499–1501.
310. Koh JM, Kim ES, Ryu JS, Hong SJ, Kim WB, Shong YK 2003 Effects of therapeutic doses of 131I in thyroid papillary carcinoma patients with elevated thyroglobulin level and negative 131I whole-body scan: comparative study. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 58:421–427.
311. Torlontano M, Crocetti U, D’Aloiso L, Bonfitto N, Di Giorgio A, Modoni S, Valle G, Frusciante V, Bisceglia M, Filetti S, Schlumberger M, Trischitta V 2003 Serum thyroglobulin and 131I whole body scan after recombinant human TSH stimulation in the follow-up of low-risk patients with differentiated thyroid cancer. Eur J Endocrinol 148:19–24.
312. Pacini F, Molinaro E, Castagna MG, Agate L, Elisei R, Ceccarelli C, Lippi F, Taddei D, Grasso L, Pinchera A 2003 Recombinant human thyrotropin-stimulated serum thyroglobulin combined with neck ultrasonography has the highest sensitivity in monitoring differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3668–3673.
313. Snozek CL, Chambers EP, Reading CC, Sebo TJ, Sistrunk JW, Singh RJ, Grebe SK 2007 Serum thyroglobulin, high-resolution ultrasound, and lymph node thyroglobulin in diagnosis of differentiated thyroid carcinoma nodal metastases. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:4278–4281.
314. Cunha N, Rodrigues F, Curado F, Ilhéu O, Cruz C, Naidenov P, Rascão MJ, Ganho J, Gomes I, Pereira H, Real O, Figueiredo P, Campos B, Valido F 2007 Thyroglobulin detection in fine-needle aspirates of cervical lymph nodes: a technique for the diagnosis of metastatic differentiated thyroid cancer. Eur J Endocrinol 157:101–107.
315. Larson SM, Robbins R 2002 Positron emission tomography in thyroid cancer management. Semin Roentgenol 37:169–174.
316. Leboulleux S, Schroeder PR, Busaidy NL, Auperin A, Corone C, Jacene HA, Ewertz ME, Bournaud C, Wahl RL, Sherman SI, Ladenson PW, Schlumberger M 2009 Assessment of the incremental value of recombinant TSH stimulation before FDG PET/CT imaging to localize residual differentiated thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:1310–1316.
317. Wang PW, Wang ST, Liu RT, Chien WY, Tung SC, Lu YC, Chen HY, Lee CH 1999 Levothyroxine suppression of thyroglobulin in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:4549–4553.
318. Leeper RD 1973 The effect of 131 I therapy on survival of patients with metastatic papillary or follicular thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 36:1143–1152.
319. Beierwaltes WH, Nishiyama RH, Thompson NW, Copp JE, Kubo A 1982 Survival time and “cure” in papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma with distant metastases: statistics following University of Michigan therapy. J Nucl Med 23:561–568.
320. Bernier MO, Leenhardt L, Hoang C, Aurengo A, Mary JY, Menegaux F, Enkaoua E, Turpin G, Chiras J, Saillant G, Hejblum G 2001 Survival and therapeutic modalities in patients with bone metastases of differentiated thyroid carcinomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1568–1573.
321. Sampson E, Brierly JD, Le LW, Rotstein L, Tsang RW 2007 Clinical management and outcome of papillary and follicular (differentiated) thyroid cancer presenting with distant metastasis at diagnosis. Cancer 110:1451–1456.
322. Durante C, Haddy N, Baudin E, Leboulleux S, Hartl D, Travagli JP, Caillou B, Ricard M, Lumbroso JD, De Vathaire F, Schlumberger M 2006 Long term outcome of 444 patients with distant metastases from papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma: benefits and limits of radioiodine therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:450–455.
323. Dupuy DE, Monchik JM, Decrea C, Pisharodi L 2001 Radiofrequency ablation of regional recurrence from well-differentiated thyroid malignancy. Surgery 130:971–977.
324. Lewis BD, Hay ID, Charboneau JW, McIver B, Reading CC, Goellner JR 2002 Percutaneous ethanol injection for treatment of cervical lymph node metastases in patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma. Am J Roentgenol 178:699–704.
325. Eustatia-Rutten CF, Romijn JA, Guijt MJ, Vielvoye GJ, van den Berg R, Corssmit EP, Pereira AM, Smit JW 2003 Outcome of palliative embolization of bone metastases in differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3184–3189.
326. Uchino S, Noguchi S, Yamashita H, Watanabe S 2004 Modified radical neck dissection for differentiated thyroid cancer: operative technique. World J Surg 28:1199–1203.
327. Noguchi S, Yamashita H, Murakami N, Nakayama I, Toda M, Kawamoto H 1996 Small carcinomas of the thyroid. A long-term follow-up of 867 patients. Arch Surg 131: 187–191.
328. Marchesi M, Biffoni M, Biancari F, Berni A, Campana FP 2003 Predictors of outcome for patients with differentiated and aggressive thyroid carcinoma. Eur J Surg Suppl 588: 46–50.
329. Ge JH, Zhao RL, Hu JL, Zhou WA 2004 Surgical treatment of advanced thyroid carcinoma with aero-digestive invasion. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 39:237–240.
330. Avenia N, Ragusa M, Monacelli M, Calzolari F, Daddi N, Di Carlo L, Semeraro A, Puma F 2004 Locally advanced thyroid cancer: therapeutic options. Chir Ital 56:501–508.
331. McCaffrey JC 2000 Evaluation and treatment of aero-digestive tract invasion by well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Cancer Control 7:246–252.
332. Musholt TJ, Musholt PB, Behrend M, Raab R, Scheumann GF, Klempnauer J 1999 Invasive differentiated thyroid carcinoma: tracheal resection and reconstruction procedures in the hands of the endocrine surgeon. Surgery 126:1078–1087; discussion 1087–1088.
333. Czaja JM, McCaffrey TV 1997 The surgical management of laryngotracheal invasion by well-differentiated papillary thyroid carcinoma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 123:484–490.
334. Van Nostrand D, Atkins F, Yeganeh F, Acio E, Bursaw R, Wartofsky L 2002 Dosimetrically determined doses of radioiodine for the treatment of metastatic thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 12:121–134.
335. Robbins RJ, Schlumberger MJ 2005 The evolving role of (131)I for the treatment of differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Nucl Med 46:28S–37S.
336. Holst JP, Burman KD, Atkins F, Umans JG, Jonklaas J 2005 Radioiodine therapy for thyroid cancer and hyperthyroidism in patients with end-stage renal disease on hemodialysis. Thyroid 15:1321–1331.
337. Driedger AA, Quirk S, McDonald TJ, Ledger S, Gray D, Wall W, Yoo J 2006 A pragmatic protocol for I-131 rhTSH-stimulated ablation therapy in patients with renal failure. Clin Nucl Med 31:454–457.
338. Samuel AM, Rajashekharrao B, Shah DH 1998 Pulmonary metastases in children and adolescents with well-differentiated thyroid cancer. J Nucl Med 39:1531–1536.
339. Sgouros G, Kolbert KS, Sheikh A, Pentlow KS, Mun EF, Barth A, Robbins RJ, Larson SM 2004 Patient-specific dosimetry for 131I thyroid cancer therapy using 124I PET and 3-dimensional-internal dosimetry (3D-ID) software. J Nucl Med 45:1366–1372.
340. Jentzen W, Freudenberg L, Eising EG, Sonnenschein W, Knust J, Bockisch A 2008 Optimized 124I PET dosimetry protocol for radioiodine therapy of differentiated thyroid cancer. J Nucl Med 49:1017–1023.
341. Kulkarni K, Nostrand DV, Atkins F, Aiken M, Burman K, Wartofsky L 2006 The relative frequency in which empiric dosages of radioiodine would potentially overtreat or undertreat patients who have metastatic well-differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 16:1019–1023.
342. Tuttle RM, Leboeuf R, Robbins RJ, Qualey R, Pentlow K, Larson SM, Chan CY 2006 Empiric radioactive iodine dosing regimens frequently exceed maximum tolerated activity levels in elderly patients with thyroid cancer. J Nucl Med 47:1587–1591.
343. Rudavsky AZ, Freeman LM 1997 Treatment of scan-negative, thyroglobulin-positive metastatic thyroid cancer using radioiodine 131I and recombinant human thyroid stimulating hormone. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:11–14.
344. Ringel MD, Ladenson PW 1996 Diagnostic accuracy of 131I scanning with recombinant human thyrotropin versus thyroid hormone withdrawal in a patient with metastatic thyroid carcinoma and hypopituitarism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:1724–1725.
345. Luster M, Lassmann M, Haenscheid H, Michalowski U, Incerti C, Reiners C 2000 Use of recombinant human thyrotropin before radioiodine therapy in patients with advanced differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:3640–3645.
346. Mariani G, Ferdeghini M, Augeri C, Villa G, Taddei GZ, Scopinaro G, Boni G, Bodei L, Rabitti C, Molinari E, Bianchi R 2000 Clinical experience with recombinant human thyrotrophin (rhTSH) in the management of patients with differentiated thyroid cancer. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 15:211–217.
347. Perros P 1999 Recombinant human thyroid-stimulating hormone (rhTSH) in the radioablation of well-differentiated thyroid cancer: preliminary therapeutic experience. J Endocrinol Invest 22:30–34.
348. Lippi F, Capezzone M, Angelini F, Taddei D, Molinaro E, Pinchera A, Pacini F 2001 Radioiodine treatment of metastatic differentiated thyroid cancer in patients on L-thyroxine, using recombinant human TSH. Eur J Endocrinol 144:5–11.
349. Pellegriti G, Scollo C, Giuffrida D, Vigneri R, Squatrito S, Pezzino V 2001 Usefulness of recombinant human thyrotropin in the radiometabolic treatment of selected patients with thyroid cancer. Thyroid 11:1025–1030.
350. Adler ML, Macapinlac HA, Robbins RJ 1998 Radioiodine treatment of thyroid cancer with the aid of recombinant human thyrotropin. Endocr Pract 4:282–286.
351. Chiu AC, Delpassand ES, Sherman SI 1997 Prognosis and treatment of brain metastases in thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:3637–3642.
352. Lau WF, Zacharin MR, Waters K, Wheeler G, Johnston V, Hicks RJ 2006 Management of paediatric thyroid carcinoma: recent experience with recombinant human thyroid stimulating hormone in preparation for radioiodine therapy. Intern Med J.36:564–570.
353. Pötzi C, Moameni A, Karanikas G, Preitfellner J, Becherer A, Pirich C, Dudczak R 2006 Comparison of iodine uptake in tumour and nontumour tissue under thyroid hormone deprivation and with recombinant human thyrotropin in thyroid cancer patients. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf ) 65:519–523.
354. Vargas GE, Uy H, Bazan C, Guise TA, Bruder JM 1999 Hemiplegia after thyrotropin alfa in a hypothyroid patient with thyroid carcinoma metastatic to the brain. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:3867–3871.
355. Robbins RJ, Voelker E, Wang W, Macapinlac HA, Larson SM 2000 Compassionate use of recombinant human thyrotropin to facilitate radioiodine therapy: case report and review of literature. Endocr Pract 6:460–464.
356. Braga M, Ringel MD, Cooper DS 2001 Sudden enlargement of local recurrent thyroid tumor after recombinant human TSH administration. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:5148–5151.
357. Pons F, Carrio I, Estorch M, Ginjaume M, Pons J, Milian R 1987 Lithium as an adjuvant of iodine-131 uptake when treating patients with well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Clin Nucl Med 12:644–647.
358. Koong SS, Reynolds JC, Movius EG, Keenan AM, Ain KB, Lakshmanan MC, Robbins J 1999 Lithium as a potential adjuvant to 131I therapy of metastatic, well differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:912–916.
359. Liu YY, van der Pluijm G, Karperien M, Stokkel MP, Pereira AM, Morreau J, Kievit J, Romijn JA, Smit JW 2006 Lithium as adjuvant to radioiodine therapy in differentiated thyroid carcinoma: clinical and in vitro studies. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf ) 64:617–624.
360. Ronga G, Filesi M, Montesano T, Di Nicola AD, Pace C, Travascio L, Ventroni G, Antonaci A, Vestri AR 2004 Lung metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma. A 40 years’ experience. Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 48:12–19.
361. Lin JD, Chao TC, Chou SC, Hsueh C 2004 Papillary thyroid carcinomas with lung metastases. Thyroid 14:1091–1096.
362. Shoup M, Stojadinovic A, Nissan A, Ghossein RA, Freedman S, Brennan MF, Shah JP, Shaha AR 2003 Prognostic indicators of outcomes in patients with distant metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Am Coll Surg 197:191–197.
363. Zettinig G, Fueger BJ, Passler C, Kaserer K, Pirich C, Dudczak R, Niederle B 2002 Long-term follow-up of patients with bone metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma—surgery or conventional therapy? Clin Endocrinol (Oxf ) 56:377–382.
364. Pittas AG, Adler M, Fazzari M, Tickoo S, Rosai J, Larson SM, Robbins RJ 2000 Bone metastases from thyroid carcinoma: clinical characteristics and prognostic variables in one hundred forty-six patients. Thyroid 10:261–268.
365. Schlumberger M, Challeton C, De Vathaire F, Travagli J-P, Gardet P, Lumbroso J-D, Francese C, Fontaine F, Ricard M, Parmentier C 1996 Radioactive iodine treatment and external radiotherapy for lung and bone metastases from thyroid carcinoma. J Nucl Med 37:598–605.
366. Dinneen SF, Valimaki MJ, Bergstralh EJ, Goellner JR, Gorman CA, Hay ID 1995 Distant metastases in papillary thyroid carcinoma: 100 cases observed at one institution during 5 decades. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:2041–2045.
367. Foote RL, Brown PD, Garces YI, McIver B, Kasperbauer JL 2003 Is there a role for radiation therapy in the management of Hürthle cell carcinoma? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 56:1067–1072.
368. Pak H, Gourgiotis L, Chang WI, Guthrie LC, Skarulis MC, Reynolds JC, Merino MJ, Schrump DS, Libutti SK, Alexander HR, Jr, Sarlis NJ 2003 Role of metastasectomy in the management of thyroid carcinoma: the NIH experience. J Surg Oncol 82:10–18.
369. Vitale G, Fonderico F, Martignetti A, Caraglia M, Ciccarelli A, Nuzzo V, Abbruzzese A, Lupoli G 2001 Pamidronate improves the quality of life and induces clinical remission of bone metastases in patients with thyroid cancer. Br J Cancer 84:1586–1590.
370. Kitamura Y, Shimizu K, Nagahama M, Sugino K, Ozaki O, Mimura T, Ito K, Tanaka S 1999 Immediate causes of death in thyroid carcinoma: clinicopathological analysis of 161 fatal cases. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:4043–4049.
371. Benua RS, Cicale NR, Sonenberg M, Rawson RW 1962 The relation of radioiodine dosimetry to results and complications in the treatment of metastatic thyroid cancer. AJR 87:171.
372. Ilgan S, Karacalioglu AO, Pabuscu Y, Atac GK, Arslan N, Ozturk E, Gunalp B, Ozguven MA 2004 Iodine-131 treatment and high-resolution CT: results in patients with lung metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 3:825–830.
373. Hod N, Hagag P, Baumer M, Sandbank J, Horne T 2005 Differentiated thyroid carcinoma in children and young adults: evaluation of response to treatment. Clin Nucl Med 30:387–390.
374. Fatourechi V, Hay ID, Javedan H, Wiseman GA, Mullan BP, Gorman CA 2002 Lack of impact of radioiodine therapy in thyroglobulin-positive, diagnostic whole- body scan-negative patients with follicular cell-derived thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:1521–1526.
375. Wang W, Larson SM, Fazzari M, Tickoo SK, Kolbert K, Sgouros G, Yeung H, Macapinlac H, Rosai J, Robbins RJ 2000 Prognostic value of [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomographic scanning in patients with thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:1107–1113.
376. Wang W, Larson SM, Tuttle RM, Kalaigian H, Kolbert K, Sonenberg M, Robbins RJ 2001 Resistance of [18f ]fluorodeoxyglucose-avid metastatic thyroid cancer lesions to treatment with high-dose radioactive iodine. Thyroid 11:1169–1175.
377. Hooft L, Hoekstra OS, Deville W, Lips P, Teule GJ, Boers M, van Tulder MW 2001 Diagnostic accuracy of 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in the follow-up of papillary or follicular thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:3779–3786.
378. Robbins RJ, Wan Q, Grewal RK, Reibke R, Gonen M, Strauss HW, Tuttle RM, Drucker W, Larson SM 2006 Real-time prognosis for metastatic thyroid carcinoma based on 2-[18F]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose-positron emission tomography scanning. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:498–505.
379. Sarlis NJ 2001 Metastatic thyroid cancer unresponsive to conventional therapies: novel management approaches through translational clinical research. Curr Drug Targets Immune Endocr Metabol Disord 1:103–115.
380. Gottlieb JA, Hill CS, Jr., Ibanez ML, Clark RL 1972 Chemotherapy of thyroid cancer. An evaluation of experience with 37 patients. Cancer 30:848–853.
381. Gottlieb JA, Hill CS, Jr 1974 Chemotherapy of thyroid cancer with adriamycin. Experience with 30 patients. N Engl J Med 290:93–197.
382. O’Bryan RM, Baker LH, Gottlieb JE, Rivkin SE, Balcerzak SP, Grumet GN, Salmon SE, Moon TE, Hoogstraten B 1977 Dose response evaluation of adriamycin in human neoplasia. Cancer 39:1940–1948.
383. Pacini F, Vitti P, Martino E, Giani C, Bambini G, Pinchera A, Bascheri L 1984 Treatment of refractory thyroid cancer with adriamycin. Drugs Experimental Clinical Research 10:911–916.
384. Haugen BR 1999 Management of the patient with progressive radioiodine non-responsive disease. Semin Surg Oncol 16:34–41.
385. Ain KB, Egorin MJ, DeSimone PA 2000 Treatment of anaplastic thyroid carcinoma with paclitaxel: phase 2 trial using ninety-six-hour infusion. Collaborative Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer Health Intervention Trials (CATCHIT) Group. Thyroid 10:587–594.
386. Santini F, Bottici V, Elisei R, Montanelli L, Mazzeo S, Basolo F, Pinchera A, Pacini F 2002 Cytotoxic effects of carboplatinum and epirubicin in the setting of an elevated serum thyrotropin for advanced poorly differentiated thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4160–4165.
387. Ain KB, Lee C, Williams KD 2007 Phase II trial of thalidomide for therapy of radioiodine-unresponsive and rapidly progressive thyroid carcinomas. Thyroid 17:663–670.
388. Cohen EE, Rosen LS, Vokes EE, Kies MS, Forastiere AA, Worden FP, Kane MA, Sherman E, Kim S, Bycott P, Tortorici M, Shalinsky DR, Liau KF, Cohen RB 2008 Axitinib is an active treatment for all histologic subtypes of advanced thyroid cancer: results from a phase II study. J Clin Oncol 26:4708–4713.
389. Gupta-Abramson V, Troxel AB, Nellore A, Puttaswamy K, Redlinger M, Ransone K, Mandel SJ, Flaherty KT, Loevner LA, O’Dwyer PJ, Brose MS 2008 Phase II trial of sorafenib in advanced thyroid cancer. J Clin Oncol 26:4714–4719.
390. Sherman SI, Wirth LJ, Droz JP, Hofmann M, Bastholt L, Martins RG, Licitra L, Eschenberg MJ, Sun YN, Juan T, Stepan DE, Schlumberger MJ 2008 Motesanib diphosphate in progressive differentiated thyroid cancer. N Engl J Med 359:31–42.
391. Kloos RT, Ringel MD, Knopp MV, Hall NC, King M, Stevens R, Liang J, Wakely PE Jr, Vasko VV, Saji M, Rittenberry J, Wei L, Arbogast D, Collamore M, Wright JJ, Grever M, Shah MH 2009 Phase II trial of sorafenib in metastatic thyroid cancer. J Clin Oncol 27:1675–1684.
392. Luster M, Lippi F, Jarzab B, Perros P, Lassmann M, Reiners C, Pacini F 2005 rhTSH-aided radioiodine ablation and treatment of differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a comprehensive review. Endocr Relat Cancer 12:49–64.
393. Van Tol KM, Hew JM, Jager PL, Vermey A, Dullaart RP, Links TP 2000 Embolization in combination with radioiodine therapy for bone metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf ) 52:653–659.
394. Posteraro AF, Dupuy DE, Mayo-Smith WW 2004 Radio-frequency ablation of bony metastatic disease. Clin Radiol 59:803–811.
395. Masala S, Fiori R, Massari F, Simonetti G 2003 Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty: new equipment for malignant vertebral fractures treatment. J Exp Clin Cancer Res 22: 75–79.
396. McWilliams RR, Giannini C, Hay ID, Atkinson JL, Stafford SL, Buckner JC 2003 Management of brain metastases from thyroid carcinoma: a study of 16 pathologically confirmed cases over 25 years. Cancer 98:356–362.
397. Walter MA, Turtschi CP, Schindler C, Minnig P, Müller-Brand J, Mü ller B 2007 The dental safety profile of high-dose radioiodine therapy for thyroid cancer: long-term results of a longitudinal cohort study. J Nucl Med 48:1620–1625.
398. Kloos RT, Duvuuri V, Jhiang SM, Cahill KV, Foster JA, Burns JA 2002 Nasolacrimal drainage system obstruction from radioactive iodine therapy for thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:5817–5820.
399. Sandeep TC, Strachan MW, Reynolds RM, Brewster DH, Scélo G, Pukkala E, Hemminki K, Anderson A, Tracey E, Friis S, McBride ML, Kee-Seng C, Pompe-Kirn V, Kliewer EV, Tonita JM, Jonasson JG, Martos C, Boffetta P, Brennan P 2006 Second primary cancers in thyroid cancer patients: a multinational record linkage study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1819–1825.
400. Subramanian S, Goldstein DP, Parlea L, Thabane L, Ezzat S, Ibrahim-Zada I, Straus S, Brierley JD, Tsang RW, Gafni A, Rotstein L, Sawka AM 2007 Second primary malignancy risk in thyroid cancer survivors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Thyroid 17:1277–1288.
402. Nakada K, Ishibashi T, Takei T, Hirata K, Shinohara K, Katoh S, Zhao S, Tamaki N, Noguchi Y, Noguchi S 2005 Does lemon candy decrease salivary gland damage after radioiodine therapy for thyroid cancer? J Nucl Med 46: 261–266.
403. Sawka AM, Thabane L, Parlea L, Ibrahim-Zada I, Tsang RW, Brierley JD, Straus S, Ezzat S, Goldstein DP 2009 Second primary malignancy risk after radioactive iodine treatment for thyroid cancer: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Thyroid 19:451–457.
404. Chen AY, Levy L, Goepfert H, Brown BW, Spitz MR, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R 2001 The development of breast carcinoma in women with thyroid carcinoma. Cancer 92:225–231.
405. Vini, L, Hyer S, Al-Saadi A, Pratt B, Harmer C 2002 Prognosis for fertility and ovarian function after treatment with radioiodine for thyroid cancer. Postgrad Med J 78:92.
406. Dottorini ME, Lomuscio G, Mazzucchelli L, Vignati A, Colombo L 1995 Assessment of female fertility and carcinogenesis after iodine-131 therapy for differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Nucl Med 36:21–27.
407. Sawka AM, Lakra DC, Lea J, Alshehri B, Tsang RW, Brierley JD, Straus S, Thabane L, Gafni A, Ezzat S, George SR, Goldstein DP 2008 A systematic review examining the effects of therapeutic radioactive iodine on ovarian function and future pregnancy in female thyroid cancer survivors. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf ) 69:479–490.
408. Schlumberger M, De Vathaire F, Ceccarelli C, Delisle MJ, Francese C, Couette JE, Pinchera A, Parmentier C 1996 Exposure to radioactive iodine-131 for scintigraphy or therapy does not preclude pregnancy in thyroid cancer patients. J Nucl Med 37:606–612.
409. Garsi JP, Schlumberger M, Rubino C, Ricard M, Labbé M, Paoletti C, Ceccarelli C, Schvartz C, Henri-Amar M, Couette JE, de Vathaire F 2008 Therapeutic administration of 131I for differentiated thyroid cancer, radiation dose to ovaries and outcome of pregnancies. J Nucl Med 49: 845–852.
410. Ceccarelli C, Benicivelli W, Morciano D, Pinchera A, Pacini F 2001 I-131 therapy for differentiated thyroid cancer leads to an earlier onset of menopause: Results of a retrospective study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:3512.
411. Wichers M, Benz E, Palmedo H, Biersack HJ, Grunwald F, Klingmuller D 2000 Testicular function after radioiodine therapy for thyroid carcinoma. Eur J Nucl Med 27:503–507.
412. Hyer S, Vini L, O’Connell M, Pratt B, Harmer C 2002 Testicular dose and fertility in men following I(131) therapy for thyroid cancer. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf ) 56:755–758.
413. Lushbaugh CC, Casarett GW 1976 The effects of gonadal irradiation in clinical radiation therapy: a review. Cancer 37:1111–1125.
414. Sarkar SD, Beierwaltes WH, Gill SP, Cowley BJ 1976 Subsequent fertility and birth histories of children and adolescents treated with I-131 for thyroid cancer. J Nucl Med 17:460–464.
415. Mazzaferri E 2002 Gonadal damage from 131I therapy for thyroid cancer. Clin Endocrinol 57:313–314.
416. van Tol KM, Jager PL, de Vries EG, Piers DA, Boezen HM, Sluiter WJ, Dullaart RP, Links TP 2003 Outcome in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer with negative diagnostic whole-body scanning and detectable stimulated thyroglobulin. Eur J Endocrinol 148:589–596.
417. Pineda JD, Lee T, Ain K, Reynolds JC, Robbins J 1995 Iodine-131 therapy for thyroid cancer patients with elevated thyroglobulin and negative diagnostic scan. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:1488–1492.
418. Pacini F, Agate L, Elisei R, Capezzone M, Ceccarelli C, Lippi F, Molinaro E, Pinchera A 2001 Outcome of differentiated thyroid cancer with detectable serum thyroglobulin and negative diagnostic (131)I whole body scan: comparison of patients treated with high (131)I activities versus untreated patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:4092–4097.
419. Palmedo H, Bucerius J, Joe A, Strunk H, Hortling N, Meyka S, Roedel R, Wolff M, Wardelmann E, Biersack HJ, Jaeger U 2006 Integrated PET/CT in differentiated thyroid cancer: diagnostic accuracy and impact on patient management. J Nucl Med 47:616–624.
420. Shammas A, Degirmenci B, Mountz JM, McCook BM, Branstetter B, Bencherif B, Joyce JM, Carty SE, Kuffner HA, Avril N 2007 18F-FDG PET/CT in patients with suspected recurrent or metastatic well-differentiated thyroid cancer. J Nucl Med 48:221–226.
421. Dietlein M, Scheidhauer K, Voth E, Theissen P, Schicha H 1997 Fluorine-18 fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography and iodine-131 whole-body scintigraphy in the follow-up of differentiated thyroid cancer. Eur J Nucl Med 24:1342–1348.
422. Schlüter B, Bohuslavizki KH, Beyer W, Plotkin M, Buchert R, Clausen M 2001 Impact of FDG PET on patients with differentiated thyroid cancer who present with elevated thyroglobulin and negative 131I scan. J Nucl Med 42:71–76.
423. Kloos RT 2008 Approach to the patient with a positive serum thyroglobulin and a negative radioiodine scan after initial therapy for differentiated thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:1519–1525.
424. Kabasakal L, Selcuk NA, Shafipour H, Ozmen O, Onsel C, Uslu I 2004 Treatment of iodine-negative thyroglobulin-positive thyroid cancer: differences in outcome in patients with macrometastases and patients with micrometastases. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 31:1500–1504.
425. Wang W, Macapinlac H, Larson SM, Yeh SD, Akhurst T, Finn RD, Rosai J, Robbins RJ 1999 [18F]-2-fluoro-2-deoxyD-glucose positron emission tomography localizes residual thyroid cancer in patients with negative diagnostic (131)I whole body scans and elevated serum thyroglobulin levels. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:2291–2302.
426. Helal BO, Merlet P, Toubert ME, Franc B, Schvartz C, Gauthier-Koelesnikov H, Prigent A, Syrota A 2001 Clinical impact of (18)F-FDG PET in thyroid carcinoma patients with elevated thyroglobulin levels and negative (131)I scanning results after therapy. J Nucl Med 42:1464–1469.
427. Nahas Z, Goldenberg D, Fakhry C, Ewertz M, Zeiger M, Ladenson PW, Wahl R, Tufano RP 2005 The role of positron emission tomography/computed tomography in the management of recurrent papillary thyroid carcinoma. Laryngoscope 115:237–243.
428. Rosario PW, Maia FF, Fagundes TA, Vasconcelos FP, Cardoso LD, Purisch S 2004 Antithyroglobulin antibodies in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma: methods of detection, interference with serum thyroglobulin measurement and clinical significance. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 48:487–492.
429. Chung JK, Park YJ, Kim TY, So Y, Kim SK, Park DJ, Lee DS, Lee MC, Cho BY 2002 Clinical significance of elevated level of serum antithyroglobulin antibody in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer after thyroid ablation. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf ) 57:215–221.
430. Chinnappa P, Taguba L, Arciaga R, Faiman C, Siperstein A, Mehta AE, Reddy SK, Nasr C, Gupta MK 2004 Detection of thyrotropin-receptor messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA) and thyroglobulin mRNA transcripts in peripheral blood of patients with thyroid disease: sensitive and specific markers for thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3705–3709.
431. Li D, Butt A, Clarke S, Swaminathana R 2004 Real-time quantitative PCR measurement of thyroglobulin mRNA in peripheral blood of thyroid cancer patients and healthy subjects. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1022:147–151.
432. Grammatopoulos D, Elliott Y, Smith SC, Brown I, Grieve RJ, Hillhouse EW, Levine MA, Ringel MD 2003 Measurement of thyroglobulin mRNA in peripheral blood as an adjunctive test for monitoring thyroid cancer. Mol Pathol 56:162–166.
433. Elisei R, Vivaldi A, Agate L, Molinaro E, Nencetti C, Grasso L, Pinchera A, Pacini F 2004 Low specificity of blood thyroglobulin messenger ribonucleic acid assay prevents its use in the follow-up of differentiated thyroid cancer patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:33–39.
434. Bellantone R, Lombardi CP, Bossola M, Ferrante A, Princi P, Boscherini M, Maussier L, Salvatori M, Rufini V, Reale F, Romano L, Tallini G, Zelano G, Pontecorvi A 2001 Validity of thyroglobulin mRNA assay in peripheral blood of postoperative thyroid carcinoma patients in predicting tumor recurrences varies according to the histologic type: results of a prospective study. Cancer 92:2273–2279.
436. Preissner CM, Dodge LA, O'Kane DJ, Singh RJ, Grebe SK 2005 Prevalence of heterophilic antibody interference in eight automated tumor marker immunoassays. Clin Chem 51:208–210.
437. Preissner CM, O'Kane DJ, Singh RJ, Morris JC, Grebe SK 2003 Phantoms in the assay tube: heterophile antibody interferences in serum thyroglobulin assays. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3069–3074.
Address correspondence to:
David S. Cooper, M.D.
Division of Endocrinology
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
1830 East Monument Street Suite 333
Baltimore, MD 21287